Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a DTM (TIN) to ASCII Gid Format (ESRI - ArcGIS)

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Paul_Ollett
11122 Views, 30 Replies

Exporting a DTM (TIN) to ASCII Gid Format (ESRI - ArcGIS)

Hi there,

Is it possible to export a DTM (TIN surface) to ESRI's ASCII grid format (for ArcGIS)?

I've attached an example file.

Failing that, is it possible to export to a simple XYZ point file?

Cheers,

Paul.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
Neilw_05
in reply to: ksorsby

That's a shame. ArcGIS can convert the Geotiff to ASCII or grid. It would be a one step process to export to GeoTiff.

I can imagine how many hours you have spent trying to resolve this, all to save someone the bother of pushing a button.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 22 of 31
ouspensky
in reply to: Neilw_05

Here is my follow up to an earlier post about using FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) GIS to sample raster grids off of C3D TINs:

The raster sampling in C3D outputs corrupted files that cannot be read in addition the only sampling option is NEAREST NEIGHBOR INTERPOLATION which also sucks and outputs grids with all kinds of stepped artifacts that are generally unsuitable for hydrology software.

A much better solution is the output the points to GRASS GIS and use the various interpolation options to generate a grid of any resolution, angle, and quality then output to any OGR format (which includes ESRI Grid format, either ASCII or Binary).

The steps are export a CSV report from C3D:

01.png

then set up a GRASS location to match the drawing coordinate system:

02.png03.png  03a.png

then define the computation extents for interpolation called "Region" in GRASS

09.png

here is where you can set the grid size for sampling

Then import the points using V.IN.ASCII

12.png

Then interpolate the surface from points raster > surface > v.rst.surf or whichever you want

Finally Export to ESRI Grid or geoTIFF or whatever:

18.png

I included a dataset

Message 23 of 31
ouspensky
in reply to: ouspensky

I wanted to follow up the post with an attachment of screenshots used in the process

Message 24 of 31
antoniovinci

ouspensky wrote:

The steps are export a CSV report from C3D:

Well, in your post 09-02-2014 04:47 AM you wrote something else:

"To use the QGIS method you can import the LandXML then extract the points using the QGIS vector tools"

while your tutorial does NOT involve any LandXML, but only a simple points' export...

By the way, to make a Dem out of a point list, you can use only Qgis, without Grass.

Message 25 of 31
neilyj666

It is also possible to use kriging to smooth Civil 3D surfaces and extrapolate beyond known data - never used it so don't know how useful/efficient etc it is....

There should be more GIS type interpolations available e.g. Inverse Distance Weighting but who knows why they are not included...? I've just downloaded QGIS to see what it can offer.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 26 of 31
ouspensky
in reply to: antoniovinci

In theory QGIS is a front end for GRASS, but I included a QGIS workflow in
the dataset attachment. I like to go straight to GRASS these days for the
raster work. The purpose of using GRASS is to control the way the points
are interpolated as much as file conversion. I thought that CSV points ->
grid was better than XML because it strips out all the headers and tags,
smaller, faster, editable in excel, ect.
Message 27 of 31
Neilw_05

One thing that needs to be considered in multistep workflows is that each step may require a considerable amount of processing time for large datasets. More steps equals more processing time. Unless there is a specific need for the extra steps it would be counter productive to take that route.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 28 of 31
ouspensky

yes I agree. to me it is a three step process.

1. export CSV from c3d

2. import CSV into GRASS

3. export DEM from GRASS

GRASS is an extraordinarly stable software, more so than QGIS, more so than anything from autodesk.  It can handle extremely large datasets.

the extra step is because c3d only offers nearest neighbor interpolation of points and this will produce artifacts and "steps" along contours. in addition there is something corrupt in the files that it produces.

by contrast GRASS allows you to interpolate by regularized spline with tension or inverse weighted distance or you can go off the deep end with geostatistics and kriging if necessary using Postgre POSTGIS and R statistics package (also 100% free) whatever you need to get a DEM that meets the project demand for analysis in hyrdology software.

c3d is a great vector software but it simply has no capacity for generating actual usable raster grids

the only thing that I have ever found that plugs the hole is GRASS or arcGIS

since you can script Python directly into GRASS, steps 2 and 3 from above can become a one button push kind of thing...

Message 29 of 31
Neilw_05

I know about the defect when exporting to DEM format as I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread. Support says all we need to do is increase the sampling density to a 1 foot grid. Like that is going to fly with a huge DEM. I guess we won't be seeing a fix anytime soon with that "solution".

I've not seen the artifacts you mention, but I haven't yet worked with an exported dataset thanks to the DEM defect. I did find the GeoTiff produces a useable Raster but again I haven't worked with the results enough to notice any problems.

A small grid interval should address any stepping problem but that may not be practical for a large dataset.

How do GRASS processing times compare to C3D?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 30 of 31
Neilw_05

I have a task that is related to this post which I need to solve. I have a very large LIDAR dataset consisting of an ASCII points file and some 3D polylines in a CAD file that I have used to build a surface. My surface encompasses only a small area within the dataset so I have applied a clip boundary to limit the data read from the points file. Now I want to export the points used in my surface to an ASCII file so that other applications can utilize the points without having to extract them again from the original file.

Is there a way to export the surface points to a CSV? I know I could display my surface points, explode the surface and export the points, but that will likely take a while to process all the steps, so I am looking for a more direct solution.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 31 of 31
sboon

One of the reporting tools produces a csv file.  It's slow, and you have to remove the extra lines it creates but it will work - eventually.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report