Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a DTM (TIN) to ASCII Gid Format (ESRI - ArcGIS)

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Paul_Ollett
11089 Views, 30 Replies

Exporting a DTM (TIN) to ASCII Gid Format (ESRI - ArcGIS)

Hi there,

Is it possible to export a DTM (TIN surface) to ESRI's ASCII grid format (for ArcGIS)?

I've attached an example file.

Failing that, is it possible to export to a simple XYZ point file?

Cheers,

Paul.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
neilyj666
in reply to: Paul_Ollett

I'm not sure if this is possible - hopefully someone else will come in and prove me wrong...!!!

It is easy anough to produce a simple XYZ of the triangle points although the surface may not be exactly the same as the triangles are not exported.

Display the surface with points turned on and then Extract Objects > Points from the surface, then perform a data extraction or _MAPEXPORT on the Points direct to shp file (I've attached the dbf for one I just did)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 31
antoniovinci
in reply to: Paul_Ollett

If you already added your TIN to a surface definition, then create a Dem file with _SURFACEEXPORTTODEM, finally you convert the resulting .TIF (or .DEM) to .ASC format, by means of the opensource Microdem.

Message 4 of 31
ksorsby
in reply to: antoniovinci

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread - is there still no direct way in 2014 to export a surface as an asc file from Civil 3D? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 5 of 31
rkmcswain
in reply to: ksorsby

I'll have to double check this with my GIS people, but I've been giving them LandXML files for a while with no complaints.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 31
ksorsby
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks! I also don't have any issues with LandXML but I specifically need asc format files as that's what the flood modeller here requires.

Kevin
Message 7 of 31
Neilw_05

I've found the Export to DEM tool is defective so it likely will not give satisfactory results. It may depend on your dataset however. Just be prepared to spend some time troubleshooting if you find the exported DEM is limited to a narrow band of data.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 31
Neilw_05
in reply to: rkmcswain

You can't import a LandXML surface into basic ArcGIS. Perhaps they have an extension or a more robust application.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 31
ksorsby
in reply to: Neilw_05

That's why I need to export the surfaces as an asc file. You can import them fairly well, but I need to export them.
We don't use ArcGIS, just Mapinfo and QGIS.
Message 10 of 31
TerryDotson
in reply to: ksorsby

... no direct way in 2014 to export a surface as an asc file from Civil 3D.

Keep in mind that assuming your surface is likely TIN based it will have to be converted to a grid first (since the ESRI Ascii Grid Format is grid based).  So regardless you are going to end up with a grid interpretation of your TIN.

ESRI has a TIN format, I think its called "ArcInfo UnGenTIN (*.net)".  Our MapWorks Surfaces module it's currently a two step process to get to ASC, Surface Manager to export the TIN to a file, then Surface Convert to convert the TIN to an Ascii Grid.  As I typed that I realized we need to add the conversion to the surface manager (a minute wasted).

Message 11 of 31
Neilw_05
in reply to: TerryDotson

Basic ArcGIS can read DEM files so it would be a simple one step Export to DEM if it weren't for the defect.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 31
sboon

Neil, what happens if you export to GeoTIFF instead of DEM?  Can ArcGIS use the GeoTIFF files?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 31
Neilw_05
in reply to: sboon

Export to GeoTiff worked well on a small site I tested. I'll run some tests on a large DEM that gave me trouble and report back.

A Geotif will work just as well in ArcGIS as a grid and it won't require any conversion from an ASCII file, so there should be no reason to create an ASCII file in C3D.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 31
ouspensky
in reply to: TerryDotson

The way I have been doing it for arcGIS is to export the TIN as LandXML then do a spline based interpolation off that TIN and convert to ESRI GRID.

To use the QGIS method you can import the LandXML then extract the points using the QGIS vector tools and use the GRASS function to create a RST surface then bring that back into QGIS and use the "saveas" option for that layer and save it to ESRI GRID

Also you can export the C3D TIN as a DEM or geoTIFF import that into QGIS and use 'saveas" to convert it to ESRI GRID  however the raster sampling in C3D is not so great.

in my opion a C3D to QGIS workflow is the best way because you don't have to pay out $$$$ to buy a special "conversion" extension and pay out even more $$$$ for a "3D Analyst" extension just to do a basic file conversion.  Also QGIS and GRASS are more stable for raster based operations than any ESRI product

Message 15 of 31
ksorsby

I'd say there is a very good reason - I get asked more-or-less every day for surfaces as asc files now and I'm bored of fobbing the clients off or figuring our workarounds. ;o)

Kevin

Message 16 of 31
ksorsby
in reply to: ouspensky

Interesting. Ill have a look at the QGIS workflow you suggest when I'm next in work. It's a little annoying that C3D can import asc files but not export them.

Something about Geotiff that bothers me is that I am creating detailed models in C3D then having to apply a coarse grid across it, and then when it ends up in TUFLOW another cell grid is applied again at a different orientation. So the levels become less accurate as transfers happen. Is there a way of changing the grid rotation when exporting to Geotiff?

Cheers,

Kevin

Message 17 of 31
antoniovinci
in reply to: ouspensky

ouspensky wrote:

To use the QGIS method you can import the LandXML

Well, never heard about it, sir: which command do you use to open a C3D landxml file in Qgis..?

Please try with my attached example, thx.

Message 18 of 31
AllenJessup

It may require a plugin - https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/LandXml/

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 31
antoniovinci
in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:

It may require a plugin - https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/LandXml/

Thanks Allen, but that plugin expects a 2D LandXML, whilst we're talkin' about a 3D mesh by Autocad Civil (or my Map2006 too).

plugin_landxml.gif

Let's wait for Ouspensky's elaboration...

Message 20 of 31
MikeEvansUK

I have searched for a conversion but I don't think its that easy. You need to specify the rows & columns etc for ERSI.

It appears ArcGIS will use a simple xyz file but these need to be in squares. No intermediate triangles.

What I have done in the past to convert for the flood mapping guys is to create cogopoints on a grid overlapping the surface then elevate to surface. Keep the grid small to export as much surface detail as possible then export to an XYZ file. you will get the entire grid exported with the -9999 null values (NB may need to edit in excel to add or change these null entries)

Then you can then switch to map3d, generate a point cloud using the xyz file. Create a surface from the point cloud but switch the export to ERSI ASCII the surface file will be generated with the nrows & ncol details added.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report