Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export to hec ras

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
CityWF
6289 Views, 16 Replies

export to hec ras

For some reason I am unable to export to hec ras. I have followed the directions exactly and everything works like it should, even naming and saving the .geo file. Then it makes a .geo file with no info in it and the program locks up. Its still using the .geo file, you cant open it until after autocad is shut down and quits. I even watched the AU webcast to see if there was something I am missing. I don't know.??? I am running civil3d 2011. 64 bit with lots of ram. I don't think my computer is too small.

Thanks, any ideas are appreciated,

Janet - CityWF

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
SethHall
in reply to: CityWF

Hi Janet-

Did you ensure that you had all the selections made in the "export to HEC RAS" dialog? For example if you leave the sample line groups set to <none> the geo file will still be created however it will be "empty" and not contain any data.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 17
RogersP
in reply to: SethHall

I am having the same problem. I'm using the 2012 version and have definitely selected the surface, alignment and sections in the export to hec-ras dialog box. This has been tried on three different systems using the 2012 software to no avail. Any ideas?

Message 4 of 17
Kapanther
in reply to: RogersP

Same problem here!

Brad

Message 5 of 17
Kapanther
in reply to: Kapanther

Solution discovered.

Make sure you don't have a jagged looking alignment. In other words, your alignment needs to be geometrically correct. Smooth curves and tangents.

This fixed my problem! No more blank empty GEO files. 😛

Hope this helped

Regards

Brad

Message 6 of 17
Neilw_05

I have the same problem. The odd thing is it worked once but now it won't. I don't recall making any changes to my alignment. At least now I know that it is not due to some mis-step on my part.

I don't think it should be required by the software to use curves between tangents on the channel alignments. It serves no practical purpose with regard to the modeling process and just makes for unnecessary busy work. I have a lot of PI's in this alignment. I hope I don't have to add curves to all of them.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 17
BrianHailey

I had a client with the same issue. I think I narrowed the issue down to the fact that the surface that was being exported was created from a corridor. I created a new surface from the corridor surface, sampled that new surface, and it exported just fine.

Create_Surface_from_Corridor.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 17
kenfindley

Has this been fixed?  I am getting blank Hec Ras output files too.  So frustrated.....

Ken

Message 9 of 17
breichel

In case anyone else runs into issues, here are two things I have found while exporting and importing.

1. Import the .geo as GIS Format. This is not intuitive, but it will make sure the data comes in.

2. Do not allow you alignment to extend past the extents of your surface. Doing so will cause the reach line to do odd things like appearing no where near your cross sections.

Have fun!

Message 10 of 17
fcernst
in reply to: breichel

Oh, and flow direction and cross section stationing still come into HEC RAS  backwards from Civil 3D, in Civil 3D 2013. Smiley Very Happy

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 17
IbisPibis

I was also creating empty .geo files when exporting from AutoCAD to HEC-RAS.  I think my silly mistake was creating the surface AFTER creating the sample lines, so the sample lines groups were not sampling any surface.

Message 12 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: IbisPibis

groups were not sampling any surface.

You just need to go back and edit your sample lines --> "sample more sources".

Bill

Message 13 of 17
wadeburcham4557

Same problem, anyone found a fix?

Message 14 of 17

the only times this has happened to me was when:
1.the reach centerline alignment extended beyond the extents of the surface it is sampling.
2. (if i remember correctly) if i did not select the correct site while on the export to RAS dialog box.
Message 15 of 17
david.dixon

In 2014 and 2016, I had to promote my surfaces into the current drawing for the .geo file to be written and saved.  Surfaces data referenced did not work for me...output was 0 byte file.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Tags (1)
Message 16 of 17
bgriffin
in reply to: david.dixon

I'm running 2015 and I have tried exporting 3 times.  It makes the .geo file just fine.  However, when I import in to HEC-RAS I get an error that says I have cross sections outside the reach boundary.  I have checked them all three times and everything is inside the surface boundary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 17 of 17
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: bgriffin

do you have any hide boundaries on your tin that fall right on the alignment (reach)?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report