Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to AutoCAD Previous version Civil Labels Rotation/Annotative objects

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
francisco_bobadilla
1215 Views, 21 Replies

Export to AutoCAD Previous version Civil Labels Rotation/Annotative objects

Hello,

When exporting files to previous versions of Autcad, some civil labels are rotated to the UCS World view.  I should note that we use UCSFOLLOW =1 and rotate ucs to achieve the desired viewport view.  Thninking this might be part of the issue? .  Also, I'm thinking it has to do with the Civil Style, our Orientation Reference is set to:"Object". I will play with this and post any findings.

Same issue happens with all objects that are annotative,  some times the objects are in the drawing, but they are way too small.

Anyone experiecing similar issues or have any workarounds for this?  Going in the drawing to rotate each label individually takes an awful amount of time.

Cheers,

Francisco

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Hi Francisco,

Please feel free to load your file and will gladly take a look at it.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 3 of 22

Hi Tatiana

The file is too large to post here.  Any other way I can get it to you?

Thx

Message 4 of 22

Please let me know if you receive the information for the FTP site.

Tatiana Machado
Message 5 of 22

Hi Tatiana,

I got it.  File is uploaded.  I also included the exported file in the zip, so you can see the issue I'm having.  If you look at the profile labels, they are way too small.  I found a work around for this, but then it turns into another issue.  Exploded the civil labels before doing an export, but then I get the rotation issue.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 22

Please tell me

which release are you working on? And what is the version that you are trying to export  this drawing to?

Thanks,

Tatiana Machado
Message 7 of 22

Working on version 2012, trying to export to 2007 and 2004 format.   Both present same issue. Thx

Message 8 of 22

Please let me know if this looks right to you.

Tatiana Machado
Message 9 of 22

Labels look OK to me.  However, it appears the proposed profile it is missing.  It is hard to tell because I did not send you our CTB files.

Could you please send me the CAD file back and let me know the procedure you used to export the file?

Thanks,

Francisco

Message 10 of 22

Yes, you didn't send me that file...

Here is what I did, I kept the setting for UCSFOLLOW as 1, change all your styles to use the same Standard text style that is annotative and have the match text orientation to layout selected.

I change all your styles to be oriented to the view.

Make sure that you have everything in model space displaying to the correct scale and matching the one that you need in paper, get in on each viewport and do a REGEN from them.

The only thing that you will need to explode first is your tables and make sure that it has the right rotation before doing the export.

Hope this will help

Tatiana Machado
Message 11 of 22

Thanks for your help.  I will give it a try and let you know if it works.  If succesful, I will hit the accept soultion button.

Thanks again.

Message 12 of 22

You are so welcome, it is my pleasure to help.

Tatiana Machado
Message 13 of 22
Sinc
in reply to: francisco_bobadilla

I'm thinking there's a major misundersting in this thread...

Civil 3D labels DO NOT use Annotative Text Styles.  The Annotative stuff is core AutoCAD, and C3D labels use their own method of scaling, independent of Annotative stuff.  This has to do with the fact that C3D Labels existed prior to AutoCAD's Annotative functionality, and the two have never been reconciled by Autodesk.

This link may provide more details:

http://www.civil4d.com/2010/11/civil-3d-lables-vs-annotative-text/

Sinc
Message 14 of 22
Sinc
in reply to: Sinc

Oh, and in general, I never advocate the use of UCSFOLLOW in C3D.  In know some people use it effectively, but I find it creates more problems than anything, and avoid it on general principle.

Sinc
Message 15 of 22

Hi Sinc,

I do agree with you UCSFOLLOW causes lots of issues.  Unfortunately this is how I got used to do viewport rotations.  What other alternative methods do you use?  I know some people uses the twist command, maybe I should look into it more.

Message 16 of 22

Hey Fran:

I have been using UCSFOLLOW for years.  I use it to spin my model space around,  make a VIEW of what I want.  Spin it back to WORLD and then set UCSFOLLOW back to what it was.

I go through the viewport and bring in the VIEW, lock the viewport.

There cannot be anything wrong with this process, as far as I can tell.

Bill

Message 17 of 22

Hi Bill,

I think your procedure is the way to go.  The way we do it here at the office is through rotating UCS and saving them as different UCS as opposed to views.  Which is why all the problems happen I believe.

Message 18 of 22

Yes, that is the reason why... Kudos for Bill nice job.

Francisco accept the solution if that is what you need.

Thank you all for helping to help others!

Tatiana Machado
Message 19 of 22

I had a chance to try it out and I'm affraid none of the steps you did worked for me 😞  Any additional thoughts on why?

Message 20 of 22
Sinc
in reply to: francisco_bobadilla

We only use DView TWist.  I prefer to ALWAYS stay in WCS, except for in some instances where I'll change my UCS and then immediately flip it back once I finish the task I wanted the UCS for.  This helps avoid bugs related to using a UCS in C3D.

The other option is to ALWAYS keep modelspace in WCS, and only change your UCS in viewports, except again for temporarily changing your modelspace UCS to make some task easier (while always remembering to flip back to WCS).  The thing I don't like about that is your modelspace and paperspace viewports don't look the same, and when working in C3D, it's often preferable to place all kinds of annotation in modelspace.  And of course, C3D Labels MUST be placed in modelspace.  So I like my modelspace to look the same as my paperspace.

However, if you then want to export back to 2007 or 2004, not sure my method will work any better.  In fact, you'll probably get much the same result.  The only real answer is that C3D is not backward-compatible, and it's MUCH easier if everyone you work with is on the same version of C3D.  However, given the yearly incompatible releases, and the fact that it's so hard for large companies to spin out deployments company-wide, not to mention the fact that we C3D users often have to work with companies still on Land Desktop or on other software like Carlson Civil, it is often VERY difficult to try and be on the same version of C3D (or even the same version of AutoCAD) as the other companies you work with...

This is a very problematic issue, with far-reaching consequences....

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report