Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export surface volume tables?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
watersam
14853 Views, 12 Replies

export surface volume tables?

I'm working in Civil3D 2011.  Does anyone know how to export the data from the surface volume tables to excel, or any other format outside of Civil3D?  

Or maybe a better question: does anyone know how to create a stage storage table automatically within Civil3D?  The elevations table gives volumes per elevation class, but I'm trying to get cumulative volume stored below various elevations in my reservoir.

Thanks,

Sam

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: watersam

There is no way of exporting native C3D Surface analysis tables to Excel (unlike vanilla CAD tables which can be exported easily) - yet more missing basic functionality. I've not dealt with stage storage tables but assume the same is true.

As a workaround I've saved the dwg, exploded the table, used a lisp to convert to a vanilla CAD table and then exported in the usual way

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
watersam
in reply to: neilyj666

Well that sounds like an effective workaround.  I've never been lisp-savvy.  Would you mind sharing the table conversion routine with me, along with some instructions on how to run it?  It would be greatly appreciated, as I will most certainly repeat this task in the future. 

Thanks,

Sam

Message 4 of 13
neilyj666

This should work in 2011 - but if not then I've no idea how to correct it......

1. Copy the Lisp to a suitable location
  2. On Civil 3D command line type APPLOAD and browse to the COT.lsp file, then LOAD and Cancel out of the dialog
  3. Explode the table - may need to do several times until you have text/mtext and lines (polylines don't work too well)
  4. On Civil 3D command line, type COT hit enter and follow the prompts
  5. This should create a normal table.
  6. Screenshow shows one I've just done - I copied the plain table to the clipboard, hit UNDO a few times and then pasted back into the same drawing.
  7. Remember that the plain table isn't dynamic any more

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
watersam

Thanks a lot for the lisp routine and instructions.  It seems to be getting me on the right track.  My screen shows the same results as your screenshot.  Now, how do you export the table to excel?  When I copy/paste it into excel, it gets turned into an image, instead of text.  Do you use an export function, or data link of some sort?

Thanks,

Sam 

Message 6 of 13
neilyj666

select the whole table and right click > Export and you can save as csv

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
watersam

Ha!  I'm sure I would have figured that out a couple days from now.  Seriously though, for the task at hand, this routine will cut days off my work.  Thanks again! 

Sam

Message 8 of 13
neilyj666

Glad it's working for you - its a bit annoying having to use a workaround though

PS always happy to receive a Kudos for advice given...Smiley Happy

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Works Great! Thanks for the help. 

Message 10 of 13
KirkNoonan

If you set the staring elevation of each range in the analysis to the starting elevation of your storage, it will give you cumulative volumes.

eg:

150 - 155

150 - 160

150 - 165

Message 11 of 13
watersam

Spoiler

Nice!  Good suggestion.  I'm not sure if it's quicker to do all the manual editing in C3D, or just use an excel sum function on the original exported table of incremental data.  Guess it depends on how you are presenting the data.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

I'd like to thank you, sir, cause you are a life saver!

I've spent almos 5 hours trying to do this "trick" that your lisp did.

I was very helpful. Thank you so much.

Message 13 of 13
charlieBRS

Great job mate - frustrating this is still not available for surface tables in C3D 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report