Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Layout to model space coordinates

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
henryosegueda
2560 Views, 9 Replies

Export Layout to model space coordinates

I have a question about exporting layouts into the model space coordinate system.

I have a lot of drawings created from view frame and sheet set manager.

Each drawing has its own layout and it needs to be exported into model space.

But when I export the layout it places the drawing into 0,0 in model space.

Is there any way to have it placed at the drawings coordinate system, assuming its in CA-VF (California State Plane Zone V, US foot) ?

Can it also be rotated, including title block, if the the viewport has a rotation (if the north arrow is not pointing up)?

Why I need this you ask?

We need to export the dwg's into dgn's.

Our client uses Microstation v7 and all drawings need to be in that format.

I know v7 is old but what are you going to do.

Thanks for your time.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: henryosegueda

dont think its possible directly as you have found. you'll need to MOVE and ROTATE manually

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 10
wfberry

Have you tried the chspace command?

Bill

Message 4 of 10
jscheps

If I understand what you would like, it is not possible if everything is drawn in paperspace.  Unless there are ojects in model space that you could create viewports overtop of so that you could get the orientation and position correct.

This would be the only way this would be possible.  You have a viewport over existing data (or over the exact area in model space that these objects need to be).  Then you could expand that viewport to cover all your data in paperspace and do a chspace command.  Make sure you change everything so it is no longer annotative.

Example:  A drawing with existing piping.  In paperspace there is a viewport over these existing pipes and the proposed piping is drawn overtop in paperspace.  You could then do a chspace command and move these paperspace objects to the model space.

Message 5 of 10

Attn. hosegueda and other lost users:

I also have the exact same coordinate challege with AutoCAD drawings, going from exported layouts to model space, this also is needed for our DGN city submissions.  I put in a service ticket to AutoDESK, they were very helpful and tried with several ideas but none of them seemed to keep the proper coordinate system in tack.  I was able to get this challenge added to thier possible wish list, for the future.  Lets hope that the AutoDESK santa pulls his weight to solve this soon, so all the little boys and girls can get their wishes this Christmas.

If someone has solved this challege, please let the rest of the "Geo-coordinate LOST" users know.

Thanks ahead a time.

Michael

Message 6 of 10
troma
in reply to: michael.holmes

Did you try CHSPACE as suggested?  Why doesn't that work?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 10
NathanBee
in reply to: troma

Yep, echoing the CHSPACE command.

Draw a polyline around your viewport, enter the CHSPACE command, select the viewport (following the prompts in the command line) and BOOM! your viewport outline has changed to modelspace.

Message 8 of 10
henryosegueda
in reply to: NathanBee

Thanks to everybody for responding.

We currently use CHSPACE but it takes along time to explode and trim what we don't need.

The drawings are plan and profile with dynamic labels.

Using the export to layout does it really fast without having to worry about triming and exploding.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to insert from paper space to its appropriate coordinate system and rotation.

Message 9 of 10
wfberry

". . .from paper space to its appropriate coordinate system and rotation."

Like I said before, did you try the CHSPACE command?

Bill

Message 10 of 10
troma

What & why do  you need to trim & explode?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report