Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Extension for GENIO

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1365 Views, 14 Replies

Export Extension for GENIO

I have recently been attempting to export to GENIO via the Subscription Extension Manager.

I am not having any luck exporting Triangles, don't know why.  They don't even show on the list of surface elements under the surface name.

The other problem I'm having is with points.  The String Label seems to only allow 2 characters and I need three, the reason I need three is points get prefixed with P and the client has point codes such as PHT1 & PRL1 etc.

I've pretty much hit the end of the road on this one.  Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Feckit

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Did anyone ever find an answer to the exporting triangulations problem? I'm working with Civil 3D 2012 plus the Genio extension but the only thing of my surface I can export to genio is the boundary- which doesn't really help.

Any ideas or even solutions??

Thanks,

Yvonne

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Hello

Same problem as above. Any solution/advice from Autodesk welcome?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Solution:

• Select surface - set surface style to display points only
  • Select surface - Extract Objects – extract points from surface
  • Home – Points – Point Creation Tools – expand toolbar – settings - set prompts to automatic for naming/descriptions
  • Convert AutoCAD points to Civil 3D points (expand dropdown on 1st symbol on toolbar)
  • Point Group is created - Export to Genio.
Message 5 of 15
neilyj666

although this method takes no account of how the points should connect to form the DTM. perhaps extracting the triangles and exploding to lines then using GENIO would be better?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

nelly

It's been a while since I've had to look at the GENIO export, however, I don't recall being able to export lines.  I thought it was only feature lines.

Kind Regards

Feckit

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Probably not ideal method because as you say the points lose connectivity, ultimately depends what you are exporting to?

In my situation I was exporting a Genio for MX, so i expect the receipent can re-triangulate the point file. Not ideal though.

Message 8 of 15
neilyj666

You may very well be right - it was just a left feild suggestion - I only really import from rather than export to GENIO.

When exporting surfaces, I prefer XML over any thing else as all the triangles are preserved.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Neily you are right. The .xml method is much better. I am new to Civil 3D and got tunnel vision looking at the Genio tool and trying to think of a way to export via that.

Thanks for your input its appreciated

Message 10 of 15
neilyj666

No worries

If this answer solved your problem please mark as solution
All kudos gratefully received

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

And that would be a BIG negatory on the solution front.

When a Client asks for data in a specific format it is entirely the responsibility of you to have the capacity to comply with that request.  "Having difficulty with", "how about maybe we could" or "is there any chance we might be able to" is simply circumventing the short comings of a process that should be addressed, vis-a-vis your software probably needs to be looked at.

LandXML is merely a work around, not the answer, for the transfer of surface or design models as it does not account for edits you make to the surface.  Maybe I'm wrong but you should try exporting a surface that you've edited and look at the debris that comes with it.

Additionally, the problem with points has not been addressed, whereby 3 alpha characters are needed for export, not 2.

Kind Regards

Feckit

Message 12 of 15
neilyj666

As you are using the GENIO extension I'm assuming you are on subscription - have you logged a support request??

I wouldn't hold out much (any?) hope of getting a quick fix if the export routine can't already achieve what you want as I guess the GENIO export/import won't be at the top of anyone's to-do list at AutoDesk.Smiley Frustrated

PS perhaps you should be using Bentley MX if your client base requires deliverables in GENIO??

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

nellyj

And therein lies the problem.  Half ersed attemps at developing the software we need for a commercial reality we deal with.  To be honest I'm surprised this thread was re-animated, however it does go to show that the promise of 2006/2007 when I first got involved here, under a different user name, has never really materialised.  I recall too many people tapping away lines like "it's early days, give it a couple of years she'll be a racehorse" etc, etc.  For every problem fixed another pops up, just wait until C3D 2016 come out next week, or is that next month, can't remember, some of us lose track after a while.Smiley Tongue

Sadly, just last week, the edit points panorama crashed, again.  Try a search for that one.

Kind Regards

Feckit

C3D 2013

Computer more than sufficient

to keep you alive let alone run

a busted a$$ piece of software.

End of rant.

Message 14 of 15
neilyj666

I agree - they should end the annual software breaking release cycle and fix what already exists. My personal favourite is when they broke the DRIVE command  in 2012SP1 and it took 6 months to fix it for 2013 - not sure if it was ever fixed in 2012.

To my mind they seem to concentrate too much on the fancy reality stuff (Infrastructure Modeller anyone...!!!) instead of on the tools that actually get the job done

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Indeed.

My personal favorite is this one;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/2012-Question/m-p/3033812/highlight/true#M152925

Not because it's a thread I started, but because of the reactions, and the breathtaking implications of the programming error.  Ask anyone involved with OHSE and they'll tell you that a consistent string of small accidents invariably ends up with a fatality.

Kind Regards

Feckit

P.S.  Is there any reason that I can't reply to anyone other than myself when using the reply button.  (In answer to your question, yes I'm sure, I've checked.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report