Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Contours from the surface using Genio exporter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
oreillysea
542 Views, 4 Replies

Export Contours from the surface using Genio exporter

Hi All

I'm only new to C3D and need to output the contours my surface model to a genio for use in Mx. I have the Genio exporter tool installed but when i output the genio all that appears is the Boundary line without the contours, which when i think about it makes sense as the surface contours is more a display option rather than actual contours. Is there a way of exporting the contours via genio.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

S

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: oreillysea

I know nothing about Genio.  Perhaps you could save your file under a new name, explode the surface to get to polylines, then use them.  You may have to explode twice, I don't remember.

Bill

Message 3 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: oreillysea

I'm not in front of civil right now but will look at the options in work tomorrow unless someone comes up with the solution for you by then. ..

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 5

I just tested the GENIO exporter and unfortunately it looks like it only exports the boundary of surfaces, which makes it pretty useless for surfaces.

You can export surfaces to Land XML format which should allow you to import them into MX.

With the drawing open, go to the Output tab of the ribbon, then on the Export panel select Export to LandXML. This will bring up a dialogue in which you can select the objects you want to export, then click ok and specify a file name and location to save to.

I'm not familiar with MX, so you will have to take it from there.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 5

I'd agree with this (you could also extract the surface triangles and WBLOCK to a dxf/dwg which may work for MX; its been a long time since I used MX so not sure what it can and cannot handle)

As an aside, I would strongly advise you not to use contour information as a means of exchanging surface data between various software packages as this is probably the least accurate means to ensure fidelity between the surfaces in e.g. Civil and MX.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report