Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export aecc_cogo_points to PNEZD file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wkiernan
1262 Views, 6 Replies

export aecc_cogo_points to PNEZD file

Today was the first time I have ever used AutoCAD 2014.  I am used to using AutoCAD 2007, but the IT department has installed Civil3D 2014 on my computer, and I am being required to do something that used to be simple: I have been given an AutoCAD 2014 format drawing with AECC_COGO_POINTs in it and I would like to extract a coordinate list in comma-delimited PNEZD format.  Unfortunately the new ribbon menu system seems to be designed to make it impossible to find anything.  Also the on-line help is dog-slow, since it requires all questions to go through the internet.  And when I do look up, say, "Export Cogo Points" I get a bunch of utter gibberish about selecting "industry models," whatever they are, and clicking on "coordinate export workflow panes" that I can't find anywhere.  I've been using AutoCAD since 1988, but thus far the whole AutoCAD 2014 experience is making me think I may have to give up CAD drafting altogether.  So I am asking for some help here.  Can anybody supply me with a step-by-step way to do this task?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: wkiernan

AECC-COGO-POINTs are points from Land Desktop (almost certain). You need to convert them to COGO-POINTs (Civil 3D points) first, then use the Prospector to export them to your desired format.

That industry model stuff you mention leads me to believe you're in the wrong help location, Map 3D to be specific.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
wkiernan
in reply to: mathewkol

The COGO points in AutoCAD 2007 Land Development Desktop are called AECC_POINTs.  Points in AutoCAD Civil3d 2012 are called AECC_COGO_POINTs, and unlike AECC_POINTs, their entity data is hidden away from AutoLISP, but at least using Civil3D 2012 commands it is possible to get a PNEZD file from the AECC_COGO_POINTs in a drawing, whereas I have been completely stumped by Civil3D 2014 for a number of hours now, and the incomprehensible on-line help has me shouting profanity and throwing things. I personally don't have any interest in any of the features in Civil3D that aren't available in LDD 2007 or even LDD2004, as all I'm trying to do is produce simple 2D land survey drawings and worksheets.  Unfortunately people in other companies keep sending me drawings I'm supposed to work with in release 18 and release 19 format.

Message 4 of 7
Jeff_M

While shouting profanities and throwing things can have a relaxing effect when working in C3D, I've found those actions to be counterproductive. Smiley Happy You want to Output Points to a file, so look on the Output tab of the Ribbon in the Civil3D workspace:

4-25-2014 5-05-49 PM.png

The process is still quite similar to the ancient LDD command. 

Yes, us oldtimers can learn to use C3D. And once you get used to it, you will wonder why you waited so long. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 7
Jeff_M

@wkiernan wrote:

Also the on-line help is dog-slow, since it requires all questions to go through the internet.  

For a quick way to find the appropriate command(s), click the big blue A in the upper left corner (1), type in what you want to do (2), find the suggested command (3). This can help eleviate the need to search the help.

4-25-2014 5-43-14 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 7
mathewkol

Clearly I was on lack of sleep when I commented. Apologies for the misinformation.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 7
wkiernan
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks a bunch for posting that picture.  That is the same thing you'd see in the Civil3D 2012 menu, and that's what I was looking for.  The reason I couldn't find it is because somehow the icon on my desktop labeled "Civil 3D 2014 Imperial" was actually pointing to the same thing as the one labeled "AutoCAD Map 3D 2014" so the Civil 3D workspace was not available in the pull-down list of workspaces.  I went over to another guy's desk and looked at the properties for his "Civil 3D 2014 Imperial" desktop icon and copied the shortcut text and presto, there are the Civil 3D menus.  The shortcut in the Start Menu also had the right shortcut to start Civil 3D; I don't know how the desktop icon got changed.

I'm still cursing, however; I'm trying something I haven't tried before, to get sh*t set manager to copy a page setup from one drawing to plot the other drawings in the list.  Naturally it doesn't work; naturally the on-line help seems deliberately designed to frustrate me, naturally none of the suggestions I've found on Google have any effect.  It's 7:30 PM on Friday night and once again I get to not eat dinner like regular people do, because Autodesk has to rush out a new release every year and that doesn't leave time for either debugging or documentation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report