Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export a surface to dem/shp file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
5724 Views, 6 Replies

export a surface to dem/shp file

greetings

i exported a surface to dem, but when i open the dem file wiht ArcGIS, it is an empty file

i also tried to export it to shape file, but it always indicates "no entity to export", no matter what object types i selected (i had that export patch)

the surface i try to export is just a simple contour that made in the civil 3d

thx

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

here is the file

Message 3 of 7
AllenJessup

I had no problem exporting the Surface to a DEM. I don't have ArcGIS but I opened a new drawing and connected to the DEM using FDO and the Surface came in fine. The DEM file created was 94MB. It too maybe 8 minutes ± to export.

Try again. Record you're steps and any errors you may receive. Post again with the info if you still have a problem.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Murph_Map

Do you have the required 3D Analyis add-in tools for your E$RI ArcGis  to use the DEM?

Second the export to shp only works on simple AutoCAD objects. You would need to export the surface (contours)  to autocad dwg format then use the Mapexport tool.

Work around is to export it as GeoTIFF type.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

I am working with C3D to ArcGIS using the export to dem in C3D.  When I open the file in ArcGIS the elevations are far out of range (see attached image) and the surface is in the wrong geographic location.  Anyone have this same issue??

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

aolegario,

I also have the dem show up with a strange range. However, I have found that my surface is still correct, what matters is what I do with it once I'm in ArcGIS.

I don't have ArcGIS open right now so I can't tell you the exact commands, but try working with the surface display under Properties (Properties for that layer). If it's a large file, give it time to respond.

Also, if you have Spatial Analyst, you can perform analyses on the dem with Spatial Analyst, and those new layers will show up with the information derived from your dem layer.

Hope that helps. It worked for me.

Anna

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

thanks anna,

that helped.  The data transfers fine. just had to set the null elevation to the highest elev in the surface in the export window.  Then change the symbology settings in arcgis.

Anthony

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report