Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploding AECC_Points to convert to C3D...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dayton76
3661 Views, 8 Replies

Exploding AECC_Points to convert to C3D...

I have been asked to build a surface, from a topo survey for a future civil design.  The drawing sent to me has the surveyors point data, but the points are all linked together as a block.    I need to, some how, explode the points and have them convert back into their original AECC_Point properties so that I can convert them to Civil 3D points and beging my work. 

When I explode the points it explodes each label of each point to a seperate Mtext.  How can I avoid this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: dayton76

Ask the surveyor for the original DWG file?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
Sinc
in reply to: Jeff_M

Better yet, ask the Surveyor for the Surface in LandXML.

Creating a surface only from the Cogo Points will probably give you a rather poor surface.  And if you try to guess at breaklines, you are running the risk of guessing wrong, and creating problems.

Ideally, the Surveyor would give you a fully-formed Surface, which has been verified to match the field conditions.  As the one who was out collecting the field data, the Surveyor is the only one who can really make sure the Surface is built correctly.  If all you get is a bunch of points, the Surveyor isn't really doing his job.

Sinc
Message 4 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: Sinc

Dayton,

If your goal is just to get a surface then you can add the blocks to a surface without doing anything to them, as long as they are at elevation. Still, as was mentioned, you would need breaklines to get an accurate surface.

If you need to turn them into cogo points so as to use them for display and other purposes then you might find a script, lisp or vba app that can do it. If the points were created by Eagle point or Carlson you will likely find a utility to convert them to either LDT points or C3D points.

Another option is to use Map to generate a CSV of the points and import the csv into C3D. To do this in Map you would create a report query which selects the points, reports their XYZ insertion point and block attributes (Ptno,description) If the points are at zero elevation but have an elevation attribute, you could include the elevation attribute in the CSV output rather then the z coordinate. The report query generates a CSV which would readily import to C3D as COGO points.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 9
dayton76
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks guys. I think I will have to use the gentlemans advice and contact the surveyors for the original drawing.  The issue is the points are all block referenced and they have not attributes as normal points from what I can see.  All I need are the elevations and C3D does not recognize and of it as nothing else but a block.

Thanks to all for your advice and help.

Message 6 of 9
Neilw_05

dayton,

Civil3D will build a surface from the blocks if they are inserted at their proper elevation. Please follow these steps:

Create a new empty surface

Expand the surface in the prospector tree view and expand the surface definition branch

Under surface definition Rt click on drawing objects and select Add..

In the Drawing object dialogue set the drop down selector to blocks and select the point blocks

The surface should build using the point blocks

If this does not work or you'd rather not bother then go ahead and ask for the points from the surveyor.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 9
dayton76

Thanks that was great advice.  But still nothing.  I will have to just contact the surveyors today. 

Message 8 of 9
AB_CAD

How can I convert aecc blocks to normal cad block?

Message 9 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: AB_CAD

Hi,

what do you see as "aecc block"? Do you mean Civil3D-points or MV-Blocks or ...?

If you select that entity you want to convert and start the property window, what object type does the property window show then?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report