Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explode to Polylines

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
4062 Views, 12 Replies

Explode to Polylines

I am importing a topographic map into a drawing. When I explode it, each contour line (polyline) is exploded into a set of individual lin segments. Is there a way to explode the topography block in which each contour line will remain a continuous polyline?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

Exploding the block should not be causing the polylines to explode. I suspect the contours are not connected in your source file.

If you believe it is due to Explode, try using MAP Query to bring in the data. Map Query will not adulterate your source data in any way.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 13
neilyj666

Could try JOIN which I've used in similar situations

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks. I will have to do this in pieces because the file is so big.

What I am really trying to do is this: I have a contour map in state plane coordinates. I would like to transform this to a local grid. The way I am doing this is inserting the state plane drawing into another drawing as a block and scaling the X & Y and rotating it, then exploding the drawing.

I wonder if there is an easier way. In Civil 3D I set up the state plane zone information as well as the transformation settings to local grid, but I don't know how to use this to import the contours (state plane) into my drawing (local grid) and have them come in properly.

Message 5 of 13
JeffPaulsen

Exploding a non-uniformly scaled block that contains poylines will also explode the poylines. You can use the Pedit command and the multiple option to join them back up.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 6 of 13
antoniovinci

Byanez, let me tell you something.

Since I only trust myself, when I get a map from anybody, I always explode everything.

Then I perform a robust _MAPCLEAN just to erase duplicates, and automatically join those exploded chains.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks.

Have you ever dealt with inserting drawings that are in some projection, such as state plane, into a local grid?

Message 8 of 13
antoniovinci

Nope. First, here in Europe ain't no 'state plane'. Second, would you elaborate the meaning of 'local grid' ?

Going 2 sleep, sir, have a good night. 

Message 9 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: antoniovinci

In the past we had to define a local coordinate system and use Map Queries. I am not up to date on Map so there may now be a way to set up transformation parameters without defining a CS. Try a search on Transformations.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

OK, Thanks.

Message 11 of 13
BrianHailey

Perhaps you could try exporting your surface to a DEM file and then importing into the drawing with the othe coordinate system. DEM files should be able to have a coordinate system assigned to them so they should do the translation for you.

Lot's of "Should"s going on there...

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 12 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: BrianHailey

If your transformation is simply a move, scale and rotate, why not use Map query or copy and paste to get your your source data into the drawing, create a group and then use the Align or Map Transform command to fit it to some common reference points?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 13
Bill_Myron

I had this problem as well. When changing the scale of the blocks, if it is not a uniform scale (Change the X and the Y, but leave the Z) it will explode the polylines inside.

I have a LISP routine that will scale polyines in only the X and Y, but keep the Z values.

It does not explode them, just moves them. This is what I use when going from grid to ground (or vice versa).

Just load the .lsp (appload) and type "SCPL" in the command line to start it up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report