Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explode block with attributes and annotative scale

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
eastridge23
3800 Views, 18 Replies

Explode block with attributes and annotative scale

I have created a block with attributes and the attributes have an annotative scale. This causes the drawing to save super slow and I can't take it any longer. Here in lies the problem, I can not explode these blocks with attributes. I have tried the explode attributes under express tools, a regular explode nothing works. I would just erase them and start of but I have 200 of them and that would take a long time to redo. Someone please help a man out.

Thanks ahead.

Ryan

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
FSWookie
in reply to: eastridge23

Ryan, have you tried to simply just redefine the block without the annotative scale?

Robert Rien

Message 3 of 19
eastridge23

I have not tried that but I will now. Do you have any idea why the annotative scale would slow down a drawing that much. It takes 2 seconds to save without them and over 1 minute with them. I will never use annotative scaling again!!!!

Message 4 of 19
eastridge23

No Dice.

Message 5 of 19
FSWookie

I will look to see if there is a way to increase the redraw time, one thing that you might try is to turn off your Annotative scale.

But back to your comment on never again, I wouldn't go that far, Annotative scale will save you time in the end, read more about it in your help and view the on line video's' on you tube, there is much to be gained by using it then not using it.

It took me a little bit to figure it out but once I did I will never go back to just plan text again, remember that you can also turn it on and off individually in the property manager.

I hope that helps.

Robert Rien

Message 6 of 19
FSWookie

Did you remove the annotative scale from the original block and then redefine it on insert or did you just do it from the drawing? Go to the original block and make the change there.

But try my prior post first.

Robert Rien

Message 7 of 19
eastridge23
in reply to: FSWookie

@R_Rien wrote:

I will look to see if there is a way to increase the redraw time, one thing that you might try is to turn off your Annotative scale.

But back to your comment on never again, I wouldn't go that far, Annotative scale will save you time in the end, read more about it in your help and view the on line video's' on you tube, there is much to be gained by using it then not using it.

It took me a little bit to figure it out but once I did I will never go back to just plan text again, remember that you can also turn it on and off individually in the property manager.

I hope that helps.

Robert Rien

How do you turn off your annotative scale? I select my attribute and go to properties but I can't turn it off becuase it is greyed out.

Message 8 of 19
eastridge23

@R_Rien wrote:

Did you remove the annotative scale from the original block and then redefine it on insert or did you just do it from the drawing? Go to the original block and make the change there.

But try my prior post first.

Robert Rien

I created the block in this drawing. I tried going into the block editor but it tells me that annotative scale is set to "no" which is weird. So then I tried creating a new block with attributes in the same drawing and then redifining it in the drawing and all things go hay wire. I get hugh circles with little text.

Back to your other post, I have used annotative scaling before and it works great but it seems that Autodesk likes to come out with new versions that break things that worked fine in the previous version. I don't know what to do but it but I get to run laps around my building while I save. Its fun.

Message 9 of 19
FSWookie

Ryan, can you post the block for me?

Robert Rien

Message 10 of 19
eastridge23

Here you go.

Message 11 of 19
FSWookie

I have found circular references in the block that you sent me, I will work to correct this for you but I was told that Augi Guild has a Attribute editor that will work to change all of the blocks, But I think that you can still make the change you looking for with a cleaned up block.

Have seen the same error on your side?

Robert Rien

Message 12 of 19
eastridge23

The one I sent you was blocked out of my drawing. That may be why it has a circular reference. The ones in my drawing were created in here so I don't know how they could.

Message 13 of 19
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you turn off your annotative scale? I select my attribute and go to properties but I can't turn it off becuase it is greyed out.

Use the BEDIT command, select your block. Once it opens in the block editor, open the property palette, in the section named BLOCK, change the annotation to NO, exit the block editor and save the block on exit.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 14 of 19
eastridge23
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Use the BEDIT command, select your block. Once it opens in the block editor, open the property palette, in the section named BLOCK, change the annotation to NO, exit the block editor and save the block on exit.

That fixed my save issue. Thanks. The only issue now is the blocks are super small. Looks like I will have to modify the block to get it the correct size.

Message 15 of 19
FSWookie

Thats what I am seeing as well, and then if you start messing with the annotative scale it really messes with the block, what scale are you looking to use?

Message 16 of 19
eastridge23

1"=100'

Message 17 of 19
FSWookie

Ryan, here is one that is cleaned up, see if this works better for you.

Robert

Message 18 of 19
eastridge23

@R_Rien wrote:

Ryan, here is one that is cleaned up, see if this works better for you.

Robert

That helped thanks a bunch. I used the replace block with another block and I can save again in seconds and it is the correct size. This is a work around so if anyone can figure out why annotative scaled text slows CAD down so much I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again folks for your help.

Message 19 of 19
FSWookie

If you where to remove all of the text scales that you have with the block will help a little.

You have five different sizes in the block you sent me.

Also true Type fonts will slow you down, but you where using shape files so I don't think that was your issue but if you have other fonts that are true type they will cause the slow down.

I am sure other might have more to add, glad it helped.

Robert Rien

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report