Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude area from volume calculations

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
xendox
2658 Views, 12 Replies

Exclude area from volume calculations

Hello,
There is an excavation area and I must monthly calculate quantities. So i have 3 surfaces, one is representing the original ground level and the other two the measurements on the end of the months. Between the measurements I calculated volume. But I want calculate the quantities what is inside of the original ground level, what is outside that I want to exclude from the calculations. There is a way how to crop that surfaces to match with the original ground level?
I attached also a photo for better understanding.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: xendox

I think what you are looking for is an outer surface boundary. Easiest way is to draw a Polyline around the area you want to include and add it as an outer boundary to either the volume surface or Surface 2. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 3 of 13
fcernst

I think the implementation of the Volumes Dashboard would be great for the ongoing volume analysis requirements of this project.

No need to Crop a surface or create surface boundaries.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 13
dgordon

it looks to me as if you're trying to exclude either the cut or the fill portion of the calculation.   The volume tools already separate these.    What else needs to be done?

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 5 of 13
xendox

I wanna exclude from the cut or fill area that portion what is outside from the original ground level. 

Message 6 of 13
wfberry

Based on your original "picture" and the "outside" the original ground means to me FILL only.  So as I believe a previous remark of ignoring the fill would be appropriate.

Bill

Message 7 of 13
xendox

If you see my picture, you can see that the material was calculated from the surface 2 and 3. I'm searching for an answer that how can I make this calculation to not go outside from surface 1, to make the calculations till the edge of surface 1.

Message 8 of 13
fcernst

Volumes Dashboard....Learn how to use it...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: fcernst

So it works in 2013? all it does is crash 2012

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
xendox

Can someone explain to me the steps to calculate the volumes?

Message 11 of 13
sboon

It appears that people are getting a little confused by the wording of the original question.  The OP said that he/she is trying to calculate volumes between two surfaces.  The word "outside" seems to have everyone thinking about a solution involving surface boundaries and surface to surface calculations, but the picture shows a section view.

The area highlighted in red can be defined as everything

• below Surface2 AND
  • above Surface3 AND
  • below (not outside of) Surface1

Unfortunately this definition cannot be used with a surface to surface volume calculation as suggested previously.  A boundary added to one of the surfaces at the yellow line would create a vertical edge in the section, not the sloped surface following the EG as shown.

crop surf.jpg

The solution here is to define a Quantitiy Takeoff Criteria similar to this one and apply it to the sections.  It should be possible to define two materials, one for below the EG and another for above.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 13
xendox
in reply to: sboon

Yes, this was the solution! Thank you very much for helping me!

Message 13 of 13
dionysos

Hi to all,

I want to calculate cut/fill volumes of an area. I have two surfaces , the existing and the finished level. After creating the surfaces with all the needed data, I use the volume dashboard. My question is if is possible to exclude some areas of the area? (yellow solid hatch).

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report