Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etransmit with "AEC objects-exploded" not exploding AEC objects???

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
patrickclark
4090 Views, 12 Replies

Etransmit with "AEC objects-exploded" not exploding AEC objects???

I have noticed that my points and surface are not exploding into simple autocad entities when etransmitting using the "2007-AEC objects-EXPLODED" transmittal setup. I checked and it is using the correct file format.

I don't think it would matter but the file with the objects that I want exploded is an xref in the drawing I am doing the etrans it.

Again, I don't think it would matter, but I am running the etranmit from the sheetset manager.

Currently I have to do the etrans, then extract the files, so I can go in to my topo drawing and explode the points and surface, then re zip the folder.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is this a known bug? (I am using 2009)

Thank you,
Patrick
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
patrickclark
in reply to: patrickclark

Does this work for everybody else? anybody else?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

I had the same problem when using Civil3D 2009. I had to extract the zip file, open up the 2007 file (that was supposed to be exploded AEC) and re-export to 2007. Now we are using 2010 and I haven't had to do an etransmit yet so I don't know if it does the same thing in 2010.
Message 4 of 13
petrocat

we've had problems with this as well.
sometimes the points don't explode, and sometimes the combine into one point ????
I'm not sure what our current workaround is, but we can't just hit "export to 20xx" and walk away. It is costly and annoying.
Fortunately, it is not a frequent command so the issue rarely comes up for us. Unfortunately, it is not a frequent command so we haven't really pushed mentioning it here. A related problem for us is exporting the layout to model which doesn't work unless you've exported everything, exploded all the entities, crossed your fingers and toes, thrown salt over your shoulder, kissed the blarney stone, rubbed the red headed rabbit's foot....
Message 5 of 13
patrickclark

Thanks for your responses.
I'm glad to know it was not just me.

We often send out a topo file we create to architects,
and they like to see the contours and points.
So this is a command we use on a daily basis.

Well I guess I will just keep up the unzip/explode/zip routine.

Thanks
Patrick
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

It appears to still be a issue in 2012. Here is an email from a collegue.

"We have a large number of drawings in our office that were produced using Civil3D 2011/12 that we need to send to a client who requires the drawings be sent with the xrefs bound into each layout and can be opened in Autocad. We are facing two major issues with this request which are as follows.

• Any xref containing Civil 3d objects disappears when you attempt to bind it into the layout.
  • Civil3D objects (i.e. Cogo points and tables) do not explode and appear in Autocad even when we etransmit and select the file format with Exploded AEC Objects.

As a consequence we are having to open up the drawings that contain Civil3D objects and explode/remove these items. After completing this action, the bind xrefs function works correctly. As you can imagine this is taking a lot of time and effort for what should be a simple and quick process. Unfortunately, the client does not want to have to install object enablers to see the objects so we are fixed as far as the output.

Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated."

Message 7 of 13
Sinc

We have't used ETransmet with "AEC objects-exploded" in years.  As near as I can tell, it's never worked.  In fact, as painful as it it is we doin't even use ETransmit at all from C3D - it doesn't work.  Even to get something to LDD.  It's so disappointing.  Hoiw can Autodesk create programs that are so incompatible with each other?

And it's not just the ETransmit feature, which is full of errors.  The "Export to AutoCAD" feature is also very sub-par.  And let's not even get into sharing C3D drawings with NavisWorks.....  UGH!!!!!!  Or 3DSMax....????  It gets worse and worse, the further along you go.

If anything, I'd expect programs made by the same company to interoperate.    OK, they're terrible at collaborating with Bently.  But collaborating with themselves....?  What's happening, Autodesk?

Sinc
Message 8 of 13
lstarbird

Has anyone found a script or tool to explode AEC objects AND etransmit?  This appears to still be an issue in Civil 3D 2014.

Message 9 of 13
lstarbird
in reply to: lstarbird

We found a method that appears to be working well for us.  Although eTransmit doesn't dumb the C3D file data, I still use it to grab all of the XREFs, Plot Styles, fonts, etc. so we don't have to hunt & peck for them.  Then we'll open the DWGs in C3D 2014 & EXPORT the DWG to 2000.

Since EXPORT prefixes the converted files with "ACAD-", I remove this from the file name so that the DWGs will still recognize the XREFs.

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 10 of 13
lstarbird

FYI, this still doesn't work in Civil 3D 2016.

Message 11 of 13
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: lstarbird

Surfaces now explode, but cogo points still dont explode in Civil 3D 2017

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 12 of 13

Still not working. I'm using DWGConvert in DWGTrueview 2018.

It really sucks now that C3D 2018 and 2017 are not compatibile.

Message 13 of 13
ebu6N7Y5

Still not working properly, now in 2021. 

Please fix Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report