Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimating time for a project

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
charles.neely
1319 Views, 7 Replies

Estimating time for a project

I’d like to get some info about estimating time needed for a project. Nothing too exact is needed. How many hours per sheet do you guys build into figuring your time needed for a project using Civil 3D

Thanks for the help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: charles.neely

Hello Charles,

That's a very hard question to answer when you don't know the type of project and the types of sheets required. Are you only estimating output time, meaning the project is already designed, or are you estimating design and output? Who is doing the project and do they know how to use Sheet Set Manager to help with sheet creation? What type of hardware is involved, affecting the speed at which an operator can use the data. How many different files are involved. Lots of Xref's attached? Images? Civil 3D references?

If a template is already created and the design is done, it takes minutes to create the model views and place on sheets, but that's rarely the whole story.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8
charles.neely
in reply to: tcorey

I'm not wanting to get that deep in the weeds. Just any kind of rough information. Back of the envelope type estimate.

Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05

I will break a project down into tasks and then estmate the time for each task.

Example:

Create topography model from survey

Layout alignments and profiles

Create first run corridor and grading models

Create check plan sheets & review design

Etc.

Not all projects have all the same stages or even the same size, so I can't imagine a boiler plate cost estimate to cover all projects. Nor can I see how a simple cost per sheet can accomodate the many variables.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
LeafRiders
in reply to: Neilw_05

Very good question... Key is to keep track of your projects and the hours, even break that down into tasks. Highlight the project details, so a year or two down the road you have an idea. This will eventually give you a basis for your decision on answering. "How much time will this take to do". My usual response, It will take longer than you think it will.

Message 6 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: LeafRiders

Exactly!

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 8
tony1978

It really depends on if it's a commercial project or residential subdivision project. In addition, it also depends the level of experience of your designer and drafter. Here are some good examples.

Plan and profile sheets = 1 hr to 3 hrs per sheet.

Grading Plans = 3 hrs - 2 days 

DImensional Control Plan = 1 hr - 3 hrs

Storm Plans = 1-3 hrs 

Water Plan & Profiles = 2-8 hrs

Drainage Area Maps = 2 hrs - 4 hrs

These are rough ball park figures but the site design will change several times before a first submittal. Then during the city review it will change a few more times also. It will end up taking months if a large commercial project with a few bldg or subdivision. I have several projects that the site has changed 6 times. That meant working thru all the sheets again.  Anyways hopefully this helps.

Tony

CAD Manager

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com 

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Message 8 of 8
LeafRiders
in reply to: tony1978

"Plan and profile sheets = 1 hr to 3 hrs per sheet.

Grading Plans = 3 hrs - 2 days

DImensional Control Plan = 1 hr - 3 hrs

Storm Plans = 1-3 hrs

Water Plan & Profiles = 2-8 hrs

Drainage Area Maps = 2 hrs - 4 hrs"

... I would say this is completely based off of something where the process is well defined, all standards and templates are in place, and for something that is very straight forward. If I used your numbers for a complex roadway / infrastructure design and drafting project the budget would likely be exceeded in a hurry.

I've used 3 days per plan profile sheet for complete design (exg surface, design corridor, drainage, and extras (culverts, approaches, curb and gutter, drainage features, cosmetic features, etc.), drafting (prelim / conceptual) and design drawings, checking, review, and changes and updates after client review. It's a ballpark that gets us close on most occasions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report