Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error pasting surface

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jbear0000
6235 Views, 6 Replies

Error pasting surface

I have a drawing that contains the Aerial suface. I also have a drawing which contains the EG surface. The Aerial surface is data referenced into the EG drawing. I created a new surface called EG and tried to paste the Aerial surface into it and get an error that says "Error performing edit". I have read other messages that say that this is because of the Aerial surface being a data shortcut, but I have done this many times in the past with surfaces that are data shortcuts. There should be no reason that a data shortcut surface can't be pasted.

EDIT: Also, even when both surfaces are contained in the same drawing I still get the message "Error performing edit". Any ideas on what is wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: jbear0000

Some sort of circular reference going on???

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 7
jbear0000
in reply to: neilyj666

No, I am getting closer to figuring it out. The Aerial surface is corrupt, so I recreated it. It is not corrupt until I add the boundary around it, then for some reason it becomes corrupt.

Message 4 of 7
Joe-Bouza

I have the exact same problem. I removed the data, map cleaned all the contours and points but cant get rid of the error. is you error message also report curupt surface?

the surface works fine until I try to paste it.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 7
jbear0000
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

I have the exact same problem. I removed the data, map cleaned all the contours and points but cant get rid of the error. is you error message also report curupt surface?

the surface works fine until I try to paste it.

Yes, a corupt surface was the problem. I figured out how to fix it though. See this thread for what I did: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Corrupt-Surface-Boundary/td-p/3061526

I don't know if the problem with your surface is also the boundary, but that is a good place to start.

Message 6 of 7
david.dixon

yep yep. I find that using "LINEWORKSHRINKWRAP" to produce a surface boundary often causes surfaces to be corrupt and not be able to be pasted.  The command sometimes creates a boundary that is "not planar" to world coordinates and C3D doesn't like that.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 7 of 7
C3D_TomR
in reply to: david.dixon

@david.dixon wrote:

yep yep. I find that using "LINEWORKSHRINKWRAP" to produce a surface boundary often causes surfaces to be corrupt and not be able to be pasted.  The command sometimes creates a boundary that is "not planar" to world coordinates and C3D doesn't like that.

If you use LINEWORKSHRINKWRAP for objects that are all set to elevation 0, does it still corrupt the surface for pasting?

Tom Richardson
CAD Manager
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn

If you find an answer to your question, please mark Accept as Solution so others can find it...

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report