Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error opening drawing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AllenJessup
5184 Views, 6 Replies

Error opening drawing

When I right click on the Civil 3D Icon I have pinned to the Window 7 taskbar and select a drawing from the list I get an Error "There was a problem sending the command to the program"and the drawing does not open. I just get Drawing!  Does anyone know what this very informative error might mean?

Allen Jessup

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
Dell Precision T7400, Xenon X5460, 3.2 GHz, 4 GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600, 768MB

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SethHall
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen-

I did a bit of research on this error message and it seems to be related to permissions and possibly UAC in Windows. If you right click on the Civil 3D icon and select "run as administrator" can you reproduce the issue?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: SethHall

Hello Seth,

You're right - with a few wrinkles. In Window 7 I don't have 'Run as Administrator" available in the right click menu from the Windows Taskbar. The ability to pick recent files from the right click menu isn't available from the desktop icon.

What I did was to unpin the C3D Metric icon from the taskbar. Then I right clicked the desktop icon and used Compatibility Mode to set Run as Administrator. I then pinned the altered icon to the taskbar. When I rt-clkd the new taskbar icon I did not duplicate the error. The drawing opened without error. However I didn't want to leave it set to Run as Administrator because I've found out that using Run as Administrator blocks the ability to drag and drop from any program that isn't set to  'Run as Administrator".

So I reversed the process with the icons and tried opening the drawing again. Now it opens with no problem even though it's no longer set to Run as Administrator. This process had run fine until about a week ago. The only thing I can think of is that something was changed in the Registry an by opening it once as Administrator it set it back.

BTW My account is an administrative account.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully this stick for now. It's a convenient feature of 7.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
SethHall

Glad to hear it! By the way, in researching this it seems it was only affecting Inventor users... that being said it definitely must be something to do with Windows 7. Either way I am happy that it has gone away for the time being.

Have a good day!!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 7
aaronsaw
in reply to: SethHall

I am getting the same error when I open a .dwg file in Autocad Mechanical 2011.  This is also happening with .iam, .ipt, .idw files in Inventor 2011.  I have set both of the programs to run as an administrator and this did not change anything.  This problem only happens the first time I go to open a file.  Once Autocad or Inventor has been started I can close the program and reopen files with no problem until I reboot the system.

There are 2 computers in the office running Windows 7 64 bit and they both do the exact same thing.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron

Message 6 of 7
pbesley
in reply to: aaronsaw

I'm getting the same thing. We're using Revit Architecture 2012 on Windows 7 64.  It's very annoying...can't even open the  program and start work!!

Message 7 of 7
bbrown

I am now getting the same problem opening dwg files. If I double click a file from the desktop or an email I get the error the first time it is opened that day. Once open it will work the rest of the day. I am using Building Design Suite Ultimate 2012 and 2013. I did not have this problem when just 2012 was installed, but once I installed 2013 both autocad's give me the same problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report