Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

entering degree symbol when entering long/lat

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kmcqueen
1043 Views, 7 Replies

entering degree symbol when entering long/lat

I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands ('LL) in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: kmcqueen

Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) the digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the place of MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in SS stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are decimal fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please enter them as shown below: Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 The above will be taken in as Thanks Chakri "kmcqueen" wrote in message news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands ('LL) in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

You're trying to confuse me, Right? "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message news:418798bc$1_2@newsprd01... > Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) the > digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the place of > MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in SS > stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are decimal > fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! > > So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please enter > them as shown below: > > Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL > Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) > >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 > > > The above will be taken in as > > > Thanks > Chakri > > > "kmcqueen" wrote in message > news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the > degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands ('LL) > in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. > The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used. > >
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Hey wfb; In his/her (I'm sorry Chakri, I can't tell from your name) example the most important part is the placement of the decimal point. Anything to the left of the decimal point is considered by Autodesk to be the Degrees. The first two digits to the right of the decimal point are the Minutes, and anything to the right of that are the Seconds. Clear as mud, now? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "wfb" wrote in message news:4187ba5b_3@newsprd01... > You're trying to confuse me, Right? > > > "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message > news:418798bc$1_2@newsprd01... >> Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) the >> digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the place > of >> MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in SS >> stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are decimal >> fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! >> >> So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please > enter >> them as shown below: >> >> Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL >> Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) >> >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 >> >> >> The above will be taken in as >> >> >> Thanks >> Chakri >> >> >> "kmcqueen" wrote in message >> news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the >> degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands > ('LL) >> in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. >> The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used. >> >> > >
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry if I confused you... I did "cut and paste" from my command history as I walked through these steps. Original post is about "how to enter Lat/Long values at the command line" with an example of Latitude 45d15'34"; and in a nut shell that has to be entered as >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 Yes, I see wrong statement i wrote earlier... in interpreting it:) > > > > The above will be taken in as (I stand corrected) > > Is that clear now? Or did I mess something else? Let me know. Thanks Chakri "wfb" wrote in message news:4187ba5b_3@newsprd01... > You're trying to confuse me, Right? > > > "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message > news:418798bc$1_2@newsprd01... > > Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) the > > digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the place > of > > MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in SS > > stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are decimal > > fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! > > > > So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please > enter > > them as shown below: > > > > Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL > > Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) > > >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 > > > > > > The above will be taken in as > > > > > > Thanks > > Chakri > > > > > > "kmcqueen" wrote in message > > news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the > > degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands > ('LL) > > in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. > > The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used. > > > > > >
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Chakri is HIM 🙂 literally "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4187c295$1_3@newsprd01... > Hey wfb; > > In his/her (I'm sorry Chakri, I can't tell from your name) example the most > important part is the placement of the decimal point. Anything to the left > of the decimal point is considered by Autodesk to be the Degrees. The first > two digits to the right of the decimal point are the Minutes, and anything > to the right of that are the Seconds. > > Clear as mud, now? > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D 2004 SP1 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "wfb" wrote in message news:4187ba5b_3@newsprd01... > > You're trying to confuse me, Right? > > > > > > "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message > > news:418798bc$1_2@newsprd01... > >> Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) the > >> digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the place > > of > >> MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in SS > >> stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are decimal > >> fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! > >> > >> So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please > > enter > >> them as shown below: > >> > >> Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL > >> Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) > >> >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 > >> > >> > >> The above will be taken in as > >> > >> > >> Thanks > >> Chakri > >> > >> > >> "kmcqueen" wrote in message > >> news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >> > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the > >> degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands > > ('LL) > >> in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. > >> The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used. > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Don: You missed it, Right? wfb "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4187c295$1_3@newsprd01... > Hey wfb; > > In his/her (I'm sorry Chakri, I can't tell from your name) example the most > important part is the placement of the decimal point. Anything to the left > of the decimal point is considered by Autodesk to be the Degrees. The first > two digits to the right of the decimal point are the Minutes, and anything > to the right of that are the Seconds. > > Clear as mud, now? > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D 2004 SP1 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "wfb" wrote in message news:4187ba5b_3@newsprd01... > > You're trying to confuse me, Right? > > > > > > "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message > > news:418798bc$1_2@newsprd01... > >> Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) the > >> digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the place > > of > >> MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in SS > >> stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are decimal > >> fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! > >> > >> So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please > > enter > >> them as shown below: > >> > >> Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL > >> Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) > >> >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 > >> > >> > >> The above will be taken in as > >> > >> > >> Thanks > >> Chakri > >> > >> > >> "kmcqueen" wrote in message > >> news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >> > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter the > >> degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands > > ('LL) > >> in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't work. > >> The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used. > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry wfb, I need more data to make sense of your reply. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "wfb" wrote in message news:4187d9fb_3@newsprd01... > Don: > You missed it, Right? > > wfb > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:4187c295$1_3@newsprd01... >> Hey wfb; >> >> In his/her (I'm sorry Chakri, I can't tell from your name) example the > most >> important part is the placement of the decimal point. Anything to the >> left >> of the decimal point is considered by Autodesk to be the Degrees. The > first >> two digits to the right of the decimal point are the Minutes, and >> anything >> to the right of that are the Seconds. >> >> Clear as mud, now? >> >> -- >> Don Reichle >> Hacker Engineering, Inc. >> "King of Work-Arounds" >> LDT & CD 2004 >> C3D 2004 SP1 >> On HP Pavilion a367c >> 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM >> XP PRO - SP2 >> >> >> "wfb" wrote in message > news:4187ba5b_3@newsprd01... >> > You're trying to confuse me, Right? >> > >> > >> > "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message >> > news:418798bc$1_2@newsprd01... >> >> Input for Lat/Long data is to be entered in DD.MMSSSS format. So (a) > the >> >> digigts infront of the decimal expalins degrees, (b) digits in the > place >> > of >> >> MM after decimal stands for minutes and (c) then first two digits in >> >> SS >> >> stands for whole seconds and any following dists in SSSSSSS are >> >> decimal >> >> fractions of seconds. This procedure is similar to LDT! >> >> >> >> So if you want to type 45 degrees 15 minutes and 34 seconds - please >> > enter >> >> them as shown below: >> >> >> >> Please specify a location for the new point: '_LL >> >> Current lat/long unit: degree, Input: DD.MMSSSS (decimal dms) >> >> >>Enter latitude : 45.1534 >> >> >> >> >> >> The above will be taken in as >> >> >> >> >> >> Thanks >> >> Chakri >> >> >> >> >> >> "kmcqueen" wrote in message >> >> news:19231065.1099367847144.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> >> > I am new to Civil. Been using AutoCAD since R11. How do you enter > the >> >> degrees symbol when entering long/lats using the transparent commands >> > ('LL) >> >> in Civil 3D 2005. I tried the mechanical way 45d15'34" but didn't > work. >> >> The command line shows the example with the degree symbol being used. >> >> >> >> >> > >> > >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report