Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering bearings,distances and curves

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jon
Enthusiast
8422 Views, 11 Replies

Entering bearings,distances and curves

I haven't used Autodesk directly since Land Development 2i. I remeber being able to draw lines by distances and bearings with the numeric keypad. The bearing quadrant / DMS input was a fast way to draw parcels from an existing map. When I got to a curve, I remember being able to input radius and Delta angle. I've been trying to find those functions for months now. I found the Line by Bearing command and that works well as long as I don't run into a curve.

How do you draw a curve that's tangent to the previous line with the radius and delta angle? I've been going back to AutoCAD version 12 methods. That is, offset the previous line. draw a circle from the end of the offset. draw a line between the center of the curve and the end of the previous line. Rotate that line with the 12d34'56" format. trim the curve and erase the extra lines.

I've gone through all the curve drawing options in the home menu but can't find a solution.

I found the CoGo editor in the survey menu but it doesnt draw curves. It just draws a line from the beginning of the curve to the center and continues the traverse from the radius point of the curve. That's obviously either a serious misundersanding of input or a program bug.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sboon
in reply to: jon

I've never been able to find these commands on the Ribbon but if you turn on the old menu bar you'll find them.  The Curve from End of Object command would solve your problem, or you can use Attach Multiple Entities.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

I've never been able to find these commands on the Ribbon ....

Home tab, Draw Panel, all of those Line & Curve commands are there. I always edit the CUI so the buttons for them are split buttons in order to keep the last used command visible.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 12
Jeff_M

You could also utilize the COGOEDITOR for entering your data. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it works pretty well.

EESignature
Message 5 of 12
jon
Enthusiast
in reply to: Jeff_M

The lines and curves from end of object is a step up from what I was doing. The CoGo Editor Doesn't really work for me because I can't find a way to enter a curve by Radius and Delta. The curve length with a precision of 0.01 can have several seconds of variations so radius/length isn't really an option. 

I really miss the Softdesk and LDD days when I could keep one hand on the numeric keypad and calculate my way through lines and tangent curves quickly.

The line by bearing command wasn't limited to quadrants 1-4. They had more numbers assigned for tangent curve right or left, etc.

Message 6 of 12
Jay_B

In addition to what's already been mentioned re: lines and curves you may find the transpearant commands found on tranpearant commands toolbar useful. Many of these are similar to lines and curves commands but must be used from within a command.
http://docs.autodesk.com/CIVIL/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%20Civil%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url...
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 12
sboon

@Jeff_M wrote:

@sboon wrote:

I've never been able to find these commands on the Ribbon ....

Home tab, Draw Panel, all of those Line & Curve commands are there. I always edit the CUI so the buttons for them are split buttons in order to keep the last used command visible.

I knew they had to be there somewhere, but I've been doing it the old way for too long now.

Can you post directions on how you edit the CUI - might be enough to finally convince me to use the Ribbon more.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: sboon

Sure thing, Steve. Command is CUI, in the Civil menu on the left pane expand the Ribbon, then expand the Panels. Scroll down to the Home 2D- Draw panel, expand that, select the Subpanel 1 and expand it Here you will find the Lines, Best Fit, and Curves under Rows 1, 2 & 3. Select the Lines and the right side of the CUI will show the Properties (may need to expand the window via the >> button). Change the Button Behavior to Split with Recent. Repeat for the Curves and Best Fit if desired. Save and close the CUI.

7-19-2013 11-18-04 PM.png

EESignature
Message 9 of 12
Jeff_M

Here I am showing that I entered the radius and delta...is this not what you wnated?

7-19-2013 11-37-46 PM.png

EESignature
Message 10 of 12
rl_jackson

That's actually quite a good idea, I use it quite often to close boundary that have small errors, but I'm usually importing the polyline to the editor, never really gave it much thought to just start with it.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
RyanMSeng

@Jeff_MHow did you enter a distance for your tangent? That window is greyed out. Thanks a million!!

-Ryan

Message 12 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: RyanMSeng

The second line of the editor shows "Tange..." but is actually Tangent Curve, so the only thing I enter is the radius and Delta, there is no tangent entry for this type.
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report