Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embankment/Daylight Query

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
WheelerCJ
1663 Views, 4 Replies

Embankment/Daylight Query

Hi,

I'm building up my assembly and I want to add a daylight sub-assembly in order to grade my proposed surface to the existing surface. Typically I would have a 1:3 slope up or down. I have choosen the DaylightGeneral for this and although there is quite a few parameters to play with, I'm only interested in the up/down slope but when I put anything sleeper than 1:4 it doesnt work, I get this red line and circle. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks in advance.

1in3.JPG1in6.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgordon
in reply to: WheelerCJ

Daylight general has 3 cut situations and 3 fill situations. the flat fill slope can't be steeper than the steep fill slope. If you do this i think it will give you the situation your talking about. so if you want 1:4 steep slope put in 1:5 med slope and 1:6 flat slope.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 5
sboon
in reply to: dgordon

Dan has it right.  DaylightGeneral also has height limits for the test of flat slopes vs. medium or steep slopes.  You need to make sure that the flat limit < medium limit < the steep limits.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 5
david.zavislan
in reply to: WheelerCJ

I find that the DaylightGeneral subassembly is not very general.  For simple models, with single cut and fill slopes, I use the DaylightMaxWidth.  It has fewer properties, which makes it easier to use.  Just make sure to specify a maximum width value that will not constrain the slope.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
WheelerCJ
in reply to: david.zavislan

Thank you all for the answer, worked a treat.

I do however agree that the daylightgeneral is a bit complicated for something 'general'.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report