Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EG Profile to be FG Profile

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
noor.azhar
1588 Views, 22 Replies

EG Profile to be FG Profile

How can I "duplicate" the EG Profile to become the "FG Profile"? Meaning that I have both profiles superimposed ON TOP OF EACH OTHER but one is Existing Ground Profile and the other is Finished Ground Profile.

The only way that I can do this is by TRACING the EG Profile using "LINE" command. I have to trace the EG Profile station by station (time consuming, of course) and convert the LINE using "Convert AutoCAD Line And Spline" command under the "Profile Layout Tools"

I have tried the "Create Superimposed Profile" command but that only duplicate the EG Profile to another EG Profile.

P/S : As for the webmaster, this Discussion Groups should have the ability to include html / image links in topic so that it is easier to explain; like most of the web forums.
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: noor.azhar

Why not just set a different style to a copy of the EG profile?

You could also copy the EG profile, explode it, then create your FG profile
from that geometry.

wrote in message news:5761239@discussion.autodesk.com...
How can I "duplicate" the EG Profile to become the "FG Profile"? Meaning
that I have both profiles superimposed ON TOP OF EACH OTHER but one is
Existing Ground Profile and the other is Finished Ground Profile.

The only way that I can do this is by TRACING the EG Profile using "LINE"
command. I have to trace the EG Profile station by station (time consuming,
of course) and convert the LINE using "Convert AutoCAD Line And Spline"
command under the "Profile Layout Tools"

I have tried the "Create Superimposed Profile" command but that only
duplicate the EG Profile to another EG Profile.

P/S : As for the webmaster, this Discussion Groups should have the ability
to include html / image links in topic so that it is easier to explain; like
most of the web forums.
Message 3 of 23

If you have the eg profile showing in a Profile View, you can use the standard AutoCAD - Copy command, base 0,0,0 and second point 0,0,0.

The new profile will have the same name as the original with (1) appended to the name. In the prospector right click on the new profile, Select properties. Then rename the profile and change the profile style to the desired FG style.

Cliff Patterson
Rocke & Associates
Fort Wayne, IN.
Civil 3d 2007, SP-3
Xeon 2.80 Ghz, 2.0 GB Ram
Message 4 of 23
ewolf06

You can also copy the profile in the geometry editor as well.
Message 5 of 23
noor.azhar

That's what I did. Copy and explode the EG. But this is time consuming in converting the exploded EG to FG. I need to click one-by-one the lines after exploded. Crossing / fence window selection is not working in selecting the exploded lines. I guess this is the only option available for the time being.
Message 6 of 23
noor.azhar

Copying the EG will only duplicate the type of profile as Existing (blue line icon) and not the desired Finished/Layout Profile (should be in red line icon). I need to explode the duplicated EG to convert it into FG.
Message 7 of 23
noor.azhar

After copying the "entities" of EG, where to paste this info? Even after I've created dummy "Layout" / FG profile, the panorama window does not allow paste command. Unless I use the "Create Profile from File..." menu but it only allows .txt and restricted to numerical values only which I need to delete the unwanted characters using notepad. Again this is also time consuming. Message was edited by: noor.azhar
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

I had two suggestions there, the first being just use the copy. In other
words:

Create two surface profiles, both the same. Set one to an FG style and (at
least based on what you have said so far) you would be done.

wrote in message news:5762824@discussion.autodesk.com...
That's what I did. Copy and explode the EG. But this is time consuming in
converting the exploded EG to FG. I need to click one-by-one the lines after
exploded. Crossing / fence window selection is not working in selecting the
exploded lines. I guess this is the only option available for the time
being.
Message 9 of 23
dana.probert

tell me why you need civil 3d to recognize it as a layout profile. you can use sampled/EG profiles in corridors and for all of the same tasks that you can use a layout/fg profle. i'm curious as to what you are using it for that makes it necessary to be a layout.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

What difference does it make if the icon is the wrong one? You can still
use the copied profile as your proposed profile. You can still use a style
that makes it look like a finished ground profile.

I see absolutely no need, based on your description of the problem, to
explode it and recreate it using the Layout profile tools.

Matt
Message 11 of 23
noor.azhar

how would you calculate the earthwork volume if you are not having the "Layout" / FG profile? Can we calculate the earthwork WITHOUT FG profile? Can we generate the "Report Manager" without FG? Let's say I wanna generate Report Manager for "Profiles_in_CSV", can we do this WITHOUT FG?
Message 12 of 23
noor.azhar

The issue will only be exaggerated if we wanna do the earthwork volume calculation as well as generate reports under "Report Manager". If we were to generate report WITHOUT having "Layout"/FG profile, C3D either gives you
(1) empty report in html format, or
(2) pop-up an error message saying "No FG profiles in [filename].dwg exist".
Message 13 of 23
dana.probert

are you building a corridor?

let me try that report and see what is required.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Ah ok. Makes perfect sense now. Unfortunately I have no solution. I was
trying to export a report so that you could import it as a layout, but I'm
not having any luck right now.

Matt

wrote in message news:5762871@discussion.autodesk.com...
The issue will only be exaggerated if we wanna do the earthwork volume
calculation as well as generate reports under "Report Manager". If we were
to generate report WITHOUT having "Layout"/FG profile, C3D either gives you
(1) empty report in html format, or
(2) pop-up an error message saying "No FG profiles in [filename].dwg exist".
Message 15 of 23
kevinpercy

I have found that to copy an EG profile to an FG profile you first need to create an Layout (FG) profile. It can be of any length or elevation. After this is done, you edit the profile geometry of the Surface (EG) profile and select Copy Profile.
Under the destination profile options select Overwrite existing profile. Select the temporary Layout (EG) profile but don't check the Overwrite all properties box. You should now have two profiles exactly the same only one is a Surface (EG) and one is a Layout (FG)
Message 16 of 23
haroldpei1218

You know, the fastest way to do this is to make two alignments, one a copy of the other (use a polyline for this) and use that for your two profiles.
Also, as far as I know, you can paste, just use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+ V.
Message 17 of 23
billneu

If I have read this right, all you want to do is have your EG profile be your FG profile correct? So your are like doing a mill and overlay or something similair?

If so when you build the corridor and it askes you for the FG profile just select the EG profile and it will now be the FG and your corridor will ride your EG.

Not sure if I read this right? Correct me if I read this wrong?

Bill Neuhauser P.E.
Message 18 of 23
neerajdixit

how about using LandXML export/import and Superimposed profile to achieve the task. Remember to keep 'Conflict Resolution' settings to 'append' in LandMXL settings.
Regards,
Neeraj
Message 19 of 23
mathewkol

I believe he wants to create profile reports and I don't believe you can do this with a surface profile.

Matt
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 20 of 23
slmkraft

1. Create a new Design (FG) profile using Profile Creation Tools. Draw a tangent line. Close the Profile Creations Toolbar.

2. Select the Surface (EG) profile you want to convert and go into the Profile Properties, Profile Data and change the update mode to static.

3. Select the Surface (EG) profile you want to convert and select Geometry Editor. Select COPY PROFILE.

4. A dialog box will come up. In the Destination profile options select "Overwrite existing profile". Once selected the pull down line will highlight and you will be able to pick your Design (FG) profile you created in step 1. DO NOT select the Overwrite all properties below the pull down.

5. You will now have two profiles, one surface and one design, on top of each other.

6. Go to the prospector and right click on the original Surface (EG) profile and edit properties. Go to the Profile Data tab and change the update mode back to dynamic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report