Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EG profile disapears when XREF

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
alberto_go
901 Views, 20 Replies

EG profile disapears when XREF

I have a drawing with the alignment, the EG and FG profile.... When I try to XREF this drawing into a new drawing, everything appears normal, except that the EG profile just does not show... any ideas?

Thanks in advance
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: alberto_go

Having the same problem with 3d, created a Master file with the plan and profile. Went to x ref the drawing into a existing drawing created without templates and everything shows up fine except the profile grade line.
If anyone has any suggestions please e-mail:
jpage@pradgroup.com
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

I had that problem, but it seems to have gone away. Do you have Hotfix-2
installed?

Bill

wrote in message news:5020536@discussion.autodesk.com...
Having the same problem with 3d, created a Master file with the plan and
profile. Went to x ref the drawing into a existing drawing created without
templates and everything shows up fine except the profile grade line.
If anyone has any suggestions please e-mail:
jpage@pradgroup.com
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

no, have not heard of it untill today
Message 5 of 21
alberto_go

where do you find this "hotfix" utiliy??
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

I don't believe Utility is the proper word, but updates and service packs
are here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=3549304

wrote in message news:5020671@discussion.autodesk.com...
where do you find this "hotfix" utiliy??
Message 7 of 21
kevincurrey

The only way to do this is to create a static EG profile.
Message 8 of 21
alberto_go

Thanks a lot !!! that was it... that was the solution!!! thank you again!
Message 9 of 21

how do you create a static profile? explode the linework? is there a setting somewhere?
Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 10 of 21
alberto_go

Here's how you do it:

- Right-click your EG profile
- go to Profile Properties
- Profile Data tab
- Under the Update Mode column, you are given the opportunity to switch to Static or Dynamic.

Good luck!
Message 11 of 21

thanks, i'll give it a go.
Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 12 of 21
mbcastle

I changed the profile from dynamic to static and solved the visibility problem, but now I have another. My linetype is set to dashed and changing to static messes up the appearance - like setting LT gen to 0. I checked the properties and LT Gen is set to 1 (or Yes). How do I make my dashed line look right. If I change the profile back to dynamic then it looks right again. Help.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

alberto_go wrote:
> I have a drawing with the alignment, the EG and FG profile.... When I
> try to XREF this drawing into a new drawing, everything appears
> normal, except that the EG profile just does not show... any ideas?

It seems several of you are seeing the problem, but I have not been able
to reproduce it. An email to one of the posters was not replied to, so
if anyone wants to send me the two drawings (minimal, please) I would
like to look into the issue.

Please confirm that you are using Civil 3D 2006 with SP2 and HF2.

Thanks.

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil 3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil 3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Message 14 of 21
kevincurrey

I believe I experienced this problem before HF2, but November was a long time ago, and I honestly can't remember.

I STILL experience this if the surface the profile is drawn from is a data shortcut. If the profile drawing is xrefed, a dynamic profile does not show up. This is true for any object that is a data shortcut, or references a data shortcut.
Message 15 of 21
mbcastle

I think you've hit on the source of the problem. In my case, I have an existing topo drawing that I used to create the existing surface (from ployline contours). I then created a surface shortcut and referenced this in another drawing where I created my profiles.
Message 16 of 21
c__h

Try adding the drawing to the same project as the xref'd drawing. That works for me (most of the time).
Message 17 of 21
mbcastle

OK, here's what I did to work around the issue. I went into my topo base drawing where I originally created the existing ground surface and did an XML export. I then went into my base drawing where the profile view resides and imported the surface. I then added the profile from the imported surface to my profile view and turned off the profile from the referenced surface. Now in my plan and profile drawings where this base is x-referenced in everything looks correct. So it definitely seems like this problem occurs when the EG surface is referenced into the base drawing containing the profiles rather than residing in that same drawing. I wonder if this is resolved in C3D 2007. I hope so because it kind of defeats the use of shortcuts and references. BTW, I have both SP2 and HF2 installed.
Message 18 of 21
stobler

Is your surface a data shortcut . If it is go to General >>> Data Shortcuts >> Edit Data Shortcuts check and see if data short cut is there, if it isn't click the first button import data shortcut from file. Your xml file for your surface will be saved project 3d project folder in the sub folder surfaces choose the right xml file. Then validate and regen all.. I hope this helps
Message 19 of 21

I have a Data Shortcut to a surface in a seperate drawing. We moved the data folder accross the network, so the references broke.

I updated the drawings and the XML reference file pointing to the new directory/drawings/surface, and I still have a broken reference.

I can't afford to make a new reference surface, becuase my profiles and sections are all dependent on this reference surface, and I would have to re-label everything.

What am I doing wrong??? Please help as this is affecting about 10 of our major projects.
Casey
Civil3D w/ SP2 and HF2.
Message 20 of 21
mmccall

I have an idea that might help, but I don't have a way to test it. (so proceed with caution)

Promote the current reference surface, make a new reference surface and paste it into the promoted surface.

While it doesn't fix the problem, it should make it go away and provide a way to fix it in the future as you could always make a new reference and paste it into the other surface, thus fixing its definition without losing the connection other object may have to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report