Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing LiDar Surface from ADF files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dratliff
1497 Views, 3 Replies

Editing LiDar Surface from ADF files

I've been tasked to design a road using LiDar data and I'm having trouble editing the data that I've brought in. When I attempt to "Crop" the data (ADF files which look like a bare earth surface) nothing happens. It's as if Civil 3d does not recognize the files that I've brought in as a surface.

Can anyone help me? Thank you,

David

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tyronebk
in reply to: dratliff

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what you are saying your problem actually is.

Are you able to create a surface from the ADF files without cropping it? If you can't, make sure the ADF files are raster files, not TIN surface files. An ADF file can contain either type of data but Civil 3D can only work with raster data. In my experience, raster ADF files usually have one file that is much larger than the others named something like w001001x.adf. TIN surface files typically have a bunch of randomly named files all about the same size.

If you are able to create a surface from the ADF file, but it then fails when you apply a crop to it, I'm not sure I have a solution without a few more details.

Message 3 of 4
dratliff
in reply to: tyronebk

Tyrone,

I was able to bring the ADF (Raster) files in and create a 3d surface however I am unable to trim or crop the 3d surface to focus on the area I need. In the "Planning and Analysis" mode, I used 'Data Connect' - 'Add Raster Image' to load the ADF files which created a large green 3d surface.

I would like to:

1. Trim the data to focus on my project area.

2. Begin the process of drawing a road alignment.

If I just load the file w001001x.adf will I lose any of the integrity of the data?

Thanks for your Reply 🙂

David

Message 4 of 4
tyronebk
in reply to: dratliff

Are you looking to work with the data as Map raster data or as a Civil 3D surface? If it is as a C3D surface, you reference the ADF by creating a grid surface, command CREATESURFACEGRIDFROMDEM, (or TIN surface if you can't work with a grid surface) and pointing to the ADF collection. Once you have brought in the ADF info you can then apply a data clip boundary to the surface and move it to the top of the build order. If you are working with a TIN surface you can apply the data clip boundary first before adding the DEM information, or after the adding the DEM info, or create a separate cropped surface with the command CREATECROPSURFACE.

As far as I can tell you can't clip a map raster FDO. You can force a resample to a specific area but not apply a clip, or apply a spacial filter when adding the data to the map.

If you can spell out what exactly you are hoping to have for your end result I can hopefully be more specific with instructions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report