AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 11 of 14 (74 Views)

Re: Editing Default User Contours in Styles

12-03-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Maybe it's me not following your thoughts Joe, but here's my question: How do you have a dummy volume surface set up in your template and then use it for a real application?  Wouldn't you have to swap the base & comparison surfaces from whatever dummy surfaces you used to set it up, to the real surfaces you want to use?  Or what is the workflow you're suggesting?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Contributor
joshua.prettyman
Message 12 of 14 (72 Views)

12-03-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

You'd just need two dummy surfaces to paste other stuff into, and have those referenced by the volume surface. It would work in this instance, but I use them multiple times in the drawing and it wouldn't be practical for me to include that many surfaces.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 13 of 14 (70 Views)

12-03-2012 07:34 AM in reply to: joshua.prettyman

Oh, I get it. You paste into or just edit the dummy base & comparison, rather than editing the volume surface to suit.  Seems a bit cumbersome, you have to know where you're going before you start & all that.

1. I think you should have the option within the properties of a volume surface to switch the Base & Comparison surfaces.

2. I think the 'Analysis' tab of a Tin Surface properties should be located within the surface style instead.  That way it would be so much easier to get multiple surfaces with the same elevation analysis, and would also solve the issue of this thread.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 14 of 14 (68 Views)

12-03-2012 07:35 AM in reply to: troma

Sure:

Surface1: = _EG = dummy surface for base. Add to it a few dummy points

Surface2: = _FG = dummy surface for comparison. Add to it a few dummy points

Surface3: = VolumeSurface. Create in template with the _EG vs _FG as base and comparison

Once actual EG and FG are made paste into _EG & _FG respectively and remove the dummy points.

If you were compelled to swap just paste accordingly

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.