Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing an existing surface using the Edit Surface command

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
L0uise
2799 Views, 5 Replies

Editing an existing surface using the Edit Surface command

I am trying to add points into a surface. I have done this before without any problems, but now I am having issues.

When I ID points which makes up the surface it gives me the correct Z level eg. 24.5m, however when I hover over the surface it shows me the surface name and a different z level eg 0.65m. Can anyone explain the reason for this difference in z levels? I think this may be causing the issue I am having when I add new points.

I select the surface and use the 'edit surface comand' in the ribbon, choosing add point. 

When I add a point at the level I require(23.89m), it puts it in a lot higher than the surrounding area, so I tried to put the point in to the lower z levels (0.4m) it puts it in a lot lower!

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as it is now beginning to slow my work progress, as well as driving me to distraction.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
troma
in reply to: L0uise

Are you talking about cogo points, acad points, or just points of surface definition?

Out of interest, in your surface properties, do you have any edits recorded in the definition tab?

surface properties.PNG

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 6
L0uise
in reply to: troma

Hi,

You will have to humour me a little. I am very new to C3D and have not had a lot of training. I am basically learning from tutorial files and you tube.

I think it is just a surface definition point. I select the surface by clicking on one of the triangles, and then choose ‘edit surface’ from the ribbon, which then drops down, and I select add point. I click the area that I want to add the point and enter the new value.

I have done this previously on another surface and it has worked fine.

In the edits it shows where I have deleted points from the surface as they were not required and swapped the edges of some triangles

Thanks

Louise

Message 4 of 6
troma

Hmm, I am wondering why you are editing a surface in this way, but it should work, even if it isn't best practice.

From the outset you say that the surface points are not at the same elevation as the surface.  That makes me think there has been an edit where the surface was lowered.  This could even happen with the move command, if you were to move the surface and snap to something with an elevation.  You don't have an edit recorded in your surface properties to the effect of "Transform by...." do you?

As a test, try adding the data in a different way.  Create acad points, or draw a line, 3D polyline or feature line using the elevations you need.  Then add these object to the surface as definition.  Does it then work as expected?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 6
mathewkol

Issues of some data being one elevation and others being different is nearly almost due to a units problem.  Tough to trouibleshoot without a zillion questions.  Attach the file and give explicit instructions on exactly what you're selecting, seeing, and trying to do.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 6
L0uise
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for your responses on this matter.

It turns out it is a uniot problem, I don't know why, but the drawing file I was working in was set to inches, and this seems to be the cause of the problems I have been havng,

Thanks again, it's appreciated.

Louise

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report