Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Surfaces

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
petelien
463 Views, 14 Replies

Edit Surfaces

Hi, 

I have created a EG surface, and an OB surface. My OB surface some times goes above my EG surface which its not supose to do. Is there a way i can make my OB layer match my EG layer?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rendarin
in reply to: petelien

Sorry, what's an OB surface?
Message 3 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: rendarin

Yes - knowing what an OB surface is (and how it was originally derived) would be useful

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 15
ThomasBHansen__
in reply to: neilyj666

I have no idea what an OB surface is, but I would probably guess that what you are looking for is "minimum distance between surfaces" found in the analyze tab.

This will give you some 3d polylines where the different surfaces cross each other that you can use as boundries. And then You just paste them together 🙂

But this is all just a wild guess since I dont really know what an OB surface is 🙂

Landscape Architect & technical expert
Message 5 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: ThomasBHansen__

My guess is that the OB surface (Overburden) is a subsurface stratum that has been modelled incorrectly and is appearing above the EGL.

There is a fairly easy fix for this if that is indeed what has happened

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
petelien
in reply to: neilyj666

OB is Overburden.  I created a surface from a topo shape file i brought in. and then i created an overburden surface with bore hole data, using the geotechnical module. My Overburden is some spots is sitting above my topo surface. I was just wondering if there was a tool i could use to "clip" the overburden surface to match my topo surface.

Message 7 of 15
neilyj666

You need to be very wary of surfaces created by the geotechnical module as they are not what I would call any good for any detailed analysis.

I'd suggest you follow this method http://civilintentions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/creating-geological-surfaces-from.html

EESignature

Message 8 of 15

Sure, make a FL at the toe of OB >> extract elevations for EG then add to OB

Message 9 of 15

Please give me a little more how to on the FL at the toe of OB. I am not sure i know how to do that. Please, Thank you!

Message 10 of 15

I'm assuming the overburden layer is a pile on top of eg, correct?
If so, you should have an outter boundary to the OB, no?
If so, turn it into a FL and assign EG elvations to it. I'm not in front of a WS now so bare with me.
grip the FL>> the ribbon should adjust; in the upper right there is a palette of FL editing tool picj the one that has the surface icon = elevations from surface>> pick the FL annswer yes to intermediate point>> add the FL to OB and now OB meets EG
Message 11 of 15

what is a FL and how do I turn my outter boundary into one? Sorry!

Message 12 of 15
MarySeufert

FL = Feature Line

Home Tab->Create Design Panel->Feature Line->CREATE FEATURE LINE FROM OBJECTS

To add surface elevations to new feature line: Select Feature Line, From Contextual Ribbon Tab->Edit Elevations->pick Elevations from Surface button. Or use command FeaturesElevsFromSurf

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 13 of 15
petelien
in reply to: MarySeufert

ok, I created a FL and added the elevations from my EG surface. I tried to add the FL to my OB surface as a breakline? and it didn't change anything, I am guessing that was wrong, so how do I add the FL to my OB surface?

Message 14 of 15
neilyj666

You'll still need to trim surfaces as all you have done thus far is add a line at the common interface level.  I'd advise you to follow the method in my earlier post as this gives the required results.

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
rendarin

Ah the geotech module; I'll have to look into this as I haven't tried it out yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report