Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit NEW formula for VC Labels??

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
alberto_go
2427 Views, 14 Replies

Edit NEW formula for VC Labels??

Is it possible at all to create a new formula under the TEXT COMPONENT EDITOR (under Profile Labels)?

I've been looking all over the place to find a way to have C3D label automatically my SSD in my vertical curves; I just cannot find it. So, what I wanted to do was to insert/edit into the Text Component Editor the formula from AASHTO: "L=(A*S^2)/2158", from which "S=(L*2158/A)^0.5", where I was planning to have C3D to give me the L and A values respectively, and then have it calculate my SSD....

Is possible to do that? to create/edit a formula? or to have the software give me the SSD?

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix,AZ
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
alberto_go
in reply to: alberto_go

Well, I just figured out how to control where and how to place the SSD for a vertical curve. That is under the PROFILE LAYOUT PARAMETERS (see picture); well, now, how do I insert or show that data in my profile label???

Any thoughts?
Message 3 of 15
alberto_go

Any takers on how to create/edit a formula?? or is that a very confusing question??

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Alberto,

Make the expression under "Curve" "Expressions" in Prospector, and then
reference that expression inside your labels. You can't make the expression
directly in the curve label. This only works in 2007.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 15
tscheevel

You have to create an expression with the formula in it first.
In the Toolspace> Settings tab, under Profile curve label styles, Right click on Expressions. You will get an "New Expression" dialog box. Name your expression, then build your formula in the "Expression" window. Use the second button from the right to add the L and A values.
After the expression is created it can be added to you vertical curve label in the label style composer.
See the attache screen shot.
I used your formula and threw one together quickly and it gave me a value that doesn't seem realistic, so verify your own results before you trust it.
Good Luck
Message 6 of 15
tscheevel

Upon further examination, the values returned by the expression are 10x what they should be.
The experssion is attached.
Message 7 of 15
alberto_go

Boy, boy boy.... you guys are Awesome!! it works like a charm!! It is working just great and it is finally giving me the SSD info automatically, just like I wanted it..... Thank you very much!

I have to admit that I am still surprised Autodesk has not incorporated the SSD into their "core" labeling styles. Good thing we have the discussion groups.

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix, AZ
Message 8 of 15
mmccall

Just for giggles, try typing the following into the text component.

<[Stopping Sight Distance]>

Some properties are there if you can figure out what to type in as they're not on the list. Once you have them typed in, then they appear on the list and have all the usual formatting and presicion modifiers to choose from. 2006 accepts the above as a valid property but it only returns "???", but it might work in 07. I don't have access to 07 right now to try it out myself.

<[Passing Sight Distance]> may also work.
Message 9 of 15
alberto_go

Well, what I ended up doing, was creating 3 expresions. First expresion for S>L, second expresion for S
IF('S>L'>{Profile Curve Length},S>L,S where S>L: ({Profile Curve Length}+(21.58/({Grade Change})))/2, and S< sqrt="">
Since the results were coming up 100x bigger that they should, I only divided by 100 the factor of 2158. I see this coming from the {Grade Change} been in percentage (ie: 0.03, instead of 3, as used it should be used in the formula).

I compared the results against the SSD given in the Profile Layout Parameters, and I am getting the same numbers, for both cases S>L & S
AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix, AZ

Message was edited by: alberto_go

Message was edited by: alberto_go
Message 10 of 15
alberto_go

Well, what I ended up doing, was creating 3 expresions. First expresion for S>L, second expresion for S
IF('S>L'>{Profile Curve Length},S>L,S where S>L: ({Profile Curve Length}+(21.58/({Grade Change})))/2, and S< sqrt="">
Since the results were coming up 100x bigger that they should, I only divided by 100 the factor of 2158. I see this coming from the {Grade Change} been in percentage (ie: 0.03, instead of 3, as used it should be used in the formula).

I compared the results against the SSD given in the Profile Layout Parameters, and I am getting the same numbers, for both cases S>L & S
AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix, AZ
Message 11 of 15
alberto_go

For some reason it did not come out again. Please see attachment for explanation of what I did, I know somebody out there will benefit from this.

Regards.

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix, AZ
Message 12 of 15
jwedding

There's a bug with nested expressions in that they pick up a GUID when the
dwg is closed then reopened. If you can make the expression in one string,
it will work as expected everytime.

HTH

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Civil 3D 2007
XP Tablet, SP2, 2GHz, 2G
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
Message 13 of 15
alberto_go

James,

Thank you very much for the heads-up. You are so right, after I re-opened the file, I had some odd figures for my SSD. I re-arranged the expression so that it is one single string, I checked it, closed the program, re-opened the file and now it looks good.

MMccall, I tried using your suggestion as well, but C3D would not let me do it.

Thank you all... DG Rocks!

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix, AZ
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Hello,
I read all of the reply's and have created the expressions as you showed in the PDF file. I got the curve label to add the SSD like I wanted but when I compared the values to the "PVI Station and Curve Report" the distances didn't match. Some not even close, so I had the Engineer that I am working with take a look at the expressions. He agreed with the less than and greater than formulas but we had to change the last expression (SSD) to be "IF less than, less than, greater than" (See Attached). Now the distances in my labels match the distances in the reports. Anyone else have this problem? Please let me know if you see anything wrong in us doing this.
I also tried keying in "<[Stopping Sight Distance]> and it does pop that into the list of available data but still returns ???. Anyone know when Autodesk will fix this?

Thanks,

Daryl
Message 15 of 15
2015Sediqi

Hello,

Dear Sir/Madam

Hope you are fine and doing well 

My name is Rezwanullah Sediqi From Kabul, Afghanistan i nee to make aformola for Canals  Total depth calculation.

Please help me .

@alberto_go wrote:
Is it possible at all to create a new formula under the TEXT COMPONENT EDITOR (under Profile Labels)?

I've been looking all over the place to find a way to have C3D label automatically my SSD in my vertical curves; I just cannot find it. So, what I wanted to do was to insert/edit into the Text Component Editor the formula from AASHTO: "L=(A*S^2)/2158", from which "S=(L*2158/A)^0.5", where I was planning to have C3D to give me the L and A values respectively, and then have it calculate my SSD....

Is possible to do that? to create/edit a formula? or to have the software give me the SSD?

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix,AZ

@alberto_go wrote:

AG
C3D 2007, SP2
Phoenix,AZ

thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report