Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

easiest way to shut off points on attached xref

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
petergil
4747 Views, 14 Replies

easiest way to shut off points on attached xref

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to shut off or freeze points on an attached xref? You used to be able to shut off layers ie points, pntno, desc, elev. No longer is the case. You could shut them off in the database using point labels and styles but that takes too long.

If anyone could advice me on whats commonly done.

TY

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: petergil

The easiest way is to freeze the layer that the point is on using the vpfreeze through the viewport.

Bill

Message 3 of 15
Sinc
in reply to: wfberry

That also presumes you have your Cogo Points on some layer other than Layer 0, or that you have your Point or Point Label Styles placing the items on an "apparent" layer that is not Layer 0.

Sinc
Message 4 of 15
wfberry
in reply to: Sinc

OK, for ME:

The easiest way is to freeze the layer that the point is on using the vpfreeze through the viewport.

<G>

Bill

Message 5 of 15
yamabeandhorn

Example:

On our ALTA Surveys, once we've reduced our Raw Data with our Company Std Linework (Layers, Linetypes, etc) I open layer manager, click in the left pane to isolate just the layers from our TPO.dwg (whichever xref you have your points in) and pan down to the 1st point layer, click it, then hold shift and select the last point layer, so all point layers are selected and then click the Freeze icon  and then all of our points become frozen,hitting ok and moving forward. This works the best for us so that we don't have to go and find and click the freeze button on every point individually or for each and every point layer. 30 sec process max.

Good Luck....

Message 6 of 15
petergil
in reply to: yamabeandhorn

Youre right about putting the layers on a point layer otherwise they end up on layer "0" which does not work.

So freezing the point layer works.

What if I want to only show the description or say elevation? I assume you have to layer your points accordingly in the point style setting.

Its too bad Civil3d does not default to the standard practice of 3 layers ie pointno, desc and elev anymore but times are a changing....

Message 7 of 15
Sinc

@petergil wrote:

Its too bad Civil3d does not default to the standard practice of 3 layers ie pointno, desc and elev anymore but times are a changing....

I actually like the Styles better.  In four years of using C3D, I have never wanted go back to that 3-layer system.

Sinc
Message 8 of 15
gccdaemon

I would like them to add a layer property to each component on the layout tab in addition to keeping layer properties under the general tab.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 9 of 15
petergil

I wish they could add a "SHUT OFF POINTS IN XREF DWG" command in the survey toolspace or on the pulldown menu. THeres just got to be an easier way to shut off the point marker, point # and description, and leave the say the elevation on!! Im always finding myself turning on and off point elevations...

Message 10 of 15
gccdaemon

Defpoints...lmao Robot tongue

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 11 of 15
stacy.dunn

Why do you need to see the point elevations?  Could the elevation not come from the surface?

A work-a-round for what you want to see could be done by creating a working point drawing with labels the way you want to see them.  You can then control the visibility by loading or unloading the xref.

Stacy Dunn
Message 12 of 15
Sinc
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Cogo Points are not always in Surfaces...

I sometimes forget that I have additional tools that are not availble to people using plain Civil 3D, so I'm often not bothered by things that might be an issue for others.  For example, if I want to identify the elevation of a Cogo Point in an XREF and the current display style is not showing the elevation, I can just use the Entity Tracker to identify the Cogo Point elevation.  I have it setup in my CUI so CTRL+5 turns the EntityTracker on and off, making it very easy to call up or dismiss the palette at will.

Sinc
Message 13 of 15

You could also do it the "old-school" way by exporting all the points to a Civil 3D database then inserting the points directly into your drawing from said database.  Or if they are field located points, they should already be in a database from fieldbook processing.  Just import them directly.  

Full control of styles, layers, etc.  Plus full control of which points you wish to add.

We don't do it this way, and I don't know if I want to do it this way, but it is an option.

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
Message 14 of 15
petergil

I like defpoints answer...always keep it simple.

I have used the entity tracker and actually like the old elevation tracker or even turning on the z elev. But I still like to see the elevation on each point as Im designing/grading. What can you do?

Message 15 of 15
petergil

This leads me to another question...how do you get the elevation tracker to work in coord tracker?

I have a current surface set in toolspace.

You used to be able to inquiry the z elevation...can anyone help?

TY

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report