Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easier survey trans

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jeremy
293 Views, 6 Replies

Easier survey trans

I need help with an easier and faster transition to Civil 3D from LDD 2007. We are mostly a Land Surveying and Mapping firm but do dabble in some design and engineering as well. What takes me 1 hour in LDD for survey related work is taking me several in Civil 3D.

Can anyone recommend a course to take? or is there a way to customize the workspace to better flow with survey related tasks?

I bought 2013 and havent used it much because it is so different.

Jeremy

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: jeremy

I know you are going to hate this answer, but the first thing that comes to my mind is "professional training".

Does your Autodesk reseller offer training?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 7
sboon

Post this question over at SurveyorConnect.com  There are others on that board in the same situation as you, and some of them may be able to help.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 7
jmayo-EE

I typically find the biggest stumbling block is when users try to make C3D work just like land instead of learning how C3D does things best.

Professional training the best way to go IMO but there are a bunch of tutorials all over the internet, on your PC in the help files and You Tube has a bunch of videos to help.

Search for help with a task based querys such as, 'Civil 3D how to generate automatic linework from field codes' (470,000 results from Google) or 'Civil 3D How to setup description keys' (over 6 million results from Google).

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Cadguru42

When you have your template setup with description keys, the figure prefix database setup, and your line codes setup, it is extremely quick and fast to get survey data into a drawing on the correct layers with symbols and such. But that's the part that takes some time to setup. For example, when our surveyors dump their CSV files into the database, anyone can create a new drawing using the template and import the figures & points. In just 10 seconds I can have a drawing with point symbols, labels, lines, etc. all on the correct layers. 

To make our template took me about a week (while working in between) and it's constantly being updated whenever something new happens to come up, such as a new point code or new C3D. Do some research on templates and the field to finish in C3D. You'll find that it takes much more prep-work than LDD, but onces it's done it's much faster to get a project done than LDD ever was. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 7
jeremy
in reply to: Cadguru42

Thanks. I think I'm overwhelmed with the initial setup and etc. Its just
taking me too long to find simple commands that I use constantly in the old
LLD. I am used to the two key quick commands, ze, zo, zp, pl, pedit, etc.
and now I have to search for an icon or pull down that has that particular
command.

I need a pro to spend a day or two helping me set this workspace and
templates up!!

Jeremy E. Loudenbeck, PLS

Loudenbeck Surveying Company PLLC

5567 Commander Drive, Suite 101

Arlington, Tennessee 38002

Office: 901-867-5333

Mobile: 901-497-6147

Jeremy@loudenbecksurveying.com
Message 7 of 7
rl_jackson

Jeremy,

I'm not in anyway saying my method's and set up are ideal or perfect solution. But it gets me though the day, so I have attached a blank template of my set-up. I do strict survey and don't personally think any of this is top secret. As others have said, training is a good solution and most of your local reps offer 2-3 courses that are survey related, along with the tutorials and even the purchase of the book Mastering C3D (doesn't have to be the latest version, say 2011/12 or greater). You Tube can also be your friend.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report