Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EARTHWORKS COMPUTATION & ELEVATION BANDING

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
J.Wanjohi
1392 Views, 3 Replies

EARTHWORKS COMPUTATION & ELEVATION BANDING

In Civil 3D 2010, how does one output the volume of earthworks in terms of elevation bands of for example 1.5m?

Using the TIN volume surface, I've already established the total volume of earthworks (cut). However, as I have pointed out earlier, the data is required in terms of elevation bands of 1.5m

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mathewkol
in reply to: J.Wanjohi

Assign an elevation banding style then
Edit the surface properties, analysis tab, and set up the elevation analysis with as many ranges as you wish in your 1.5m interval.

There should be a help article about elevation analyses if you're unsure.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 4
Maine-iac
in reply to: J.Wanjohi

Create another TIN surface using the rectangular “0” layer polyline you have in the drawing already.

Use the “0” z axis polyline as a contour to build your flat surface. Call it “Cut”.

Once you have created that surface, pick on it to highlight it. While it is highlighted, your tool ribbon should flip to the TIN surface command set. In the “Analyze” section, click on “Volumes”. This brings up the “Composite Volumes” panorama screen. The top left icon is the “Create new volume entry”, click on that and select your “volume surface” as your base and your “Cut” surface as your comparison surface.

This will first show a 2.3 cu M cut and a 17559 cu M fill.

Leave this screen up and go back up to your “Modify” surface ribbon command area, select on the “Edit surface” drop down and select “Raise/Lower surface”.  In your command line window area you should see a prompt “Amount to add to all elevations”, put in -1.5 and hit enter, to drop your cut surface by 1.5 meters. Now go back to your Composite Volumes screen and re-pick your “volume surface” in the base surface selection area. This will update your cut volume to 441.84 cu Meters. Keep repeating this raise/lower surface and refreshing your composite volumes screen to get the cumulative cut volumes.

Somewhere between a cut of -12 meters and -13.5 meters is the 17,559 cu Meters that your Volume Surface shows in its surface properties statistics tab. Hope this works for you.

Gotta go, it' Miller time.

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 4 of 4
BrianHailey
in reply to: Maine-iac

A volume surface will show you the DEPTH of cut and fill and can't be used very well for calculating what the cut or fill will be at a specific elevation.

HERE is a method I came up with to calculate the volumes at specific elevations. It was used to calculate the filling curve for a mine. Perhaps you'll be able to adjust it to what you are trying to accomplish.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report