Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earthwork

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
fuglsang1000
783 Views, 5 Replies

Earthwork

I am working on a project where I need to make some calculations on the earthwork.

The first 0.5m on the existing ground is a layer of top soil, and therefore can’t be used in the fill areas. When I want to make a mass haul diagram, how do i make the calculation so the layer of top soil isn’t included? And can I make a calculation where the volume of the top soil layer is calculated.

-thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wfberry
in reply to: fuglsang1000

Copy your exisiting surface to a new Name.  Lower the surface .5 meters.  You can deal with the topsoil later.

Bill

Message 3 of 6
fuglsang1000
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks for the reply

Though that was what I should do, but how do you copy a surface? Do I need to export it, and then import it again?

- Thomas

Message 4 of 6
fuglsang1000

ohh okay, that was a stupid question. Found out that its possible to use the copy command.

Thanks for answering, got it to work.

Message 5 of 6

Whilst copying will work, if you have a surface that you want to lower, but also have it linked to the original surface (probably not a problem with an existing surface, as it "shouldn't" change, but this is just an overall tip), you can create a new, blank surface, paste the original surface into it, then through the Definition->Edits for the surface you can lower/raise the surface.

Just an FYI  🙂

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 6 of 6
david

Civil 3D is a great construction document tool.  IF you need to do design that include the ability to look at topsoil, rock, contaminated or structurally unsound soil then give SITEOPS a look.  It is a great software for doing quick grading plans then take to output files into Civil3D to finish documents.  SITEOPS can grade a 100 acre site in less than an hour and a one acre site in about three minutes.

Thanks

David Settlemyer

Director of Civil Engineering

SITEOPS

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report