Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earthwork volumes by 1' "lift" increments?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
inhl
1146 Views, 8 Replies

Earthwork volumes by 1' "lift" increments?

Is it possible to calculate volume by 1 foot "lift increments? Basically I'm tasked with calculating concrete volume of a 200'+/- dam and the owner needs to know how much concrete is in each foot of elevation. Basically how much "fill" is between elevation 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, etc...the other tricky part is the bottom of the dam isn't flat. is this possible?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: inhl

Try this for inspiration (probably don't require the dashboard if you aren't on subs)

http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/filling-curve-using-volumes-dashboard/

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 9
BrianHailey

It most definitely can be done without the volumes dashboard, it is just a lot easier with it. You just have to manually subtract the fill volume of the one calculation from the cut volume of the other calculation. So after you adjust the Level surface, instead of just looking at the dashboard, you have to go to the properties of the one volume surface, record the fill, go to the properties of the other volume surface, record the cut, calculate the different, and then put that into the curve. You might be able to get by with the composite volumes but again, there is definitely some additional data manipulation not needed if you use the volumes dashboard. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 9
Joe-Bouza

does the stage storage analysis do that? By what ever incriment you set the surface?

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: BrianHailey

The Volumes Dashboard is one of the most useful tools for C3D 2012

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9
BrianHailey
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

It won't work for a situation like this because the existing ground is extremely varying (in this case, they are place the tailings from a mine in a canyon). The stage storage tools work greate for ponds but in a situation like this, they fail because the surface expands out and then back together again.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks Brian, but how did you know that from the OP?

Is it possible to calculate volume by 1 foot "lift increments? Basically I'm tasked with calculating concrete volume of a 200'+/- dam and the owner needs to know how much concrete is in each foot of elevation. Basically how much "fill" is between elevation 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, etc...the other tricky part is the bottom of the dam isn't flat. is this possible?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
BrianHailey

I was thinking more along the lines of my blog post. Perhaps for what the OP needs it would work but if the ground the dam is on varies a lot then it probably won't work.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 9
inhl

the bottom most definitely isn't flat...as the existing ground has been excavated for the footing. it appears the link above w/ the dashboard method would work as the sample provided doesn't have an flat bottom?? going to give it a shot when i get into the office on monday...

unless someone else has other suggestions? 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report