Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earthwork quantities for a building pad and driveways

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
rjg915
1846 Views, 16 Replies

Earthwork quantities for a building pad and driveways

I haven't been able to figure out how to create earthwork quantities and take off for building slab and sub-grades for driveways/parking areas.  Is there a simple way to add these items into your volume report? Running 2015 civil 3d.

Carlson has a nice program for this but I have to use civil 3d.  Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Pointdump
in reply to: rjg915

RJG,

I don't know about "simple", but have you tried here:

Volume_Dash.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 17
Joe-Bouza

A sure way to get less views here is the have a phrase in your post espousing the virtues of a software package that cant be used.

Dave shows you a good way to get it done.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
rjg915
in reply to: Pointdump

That will give me a total volume from existing grade to finish grade; I want to break out the building pad, sub-grades, etc.  I have found where other people have created multiple surfaces but I think there should be an easier way.

Thanks, Ron

Message 5 of 17
Joe-Bouza

For total Earth Work there is:

Anything in the finished grade surface either increases the cut or decreases the fill of the "surface to surface" calculation. A subgrade will never increase the fill quantity

Note that +cut = -fill. For me the algebra is indisputable

Therefore, a simple hand calculation of the subgrade areax depth added the to surface to surface "cut" value yields the ultimate earth work numbers. The diagram below is true for anything in the ground; pavement, sidwalks, foundations, drainage, etc.

cut&fill.PNG

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
vlsheehan
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

You can also use the original "reportsurfacevolume" command. You don't have to create the additional volume surface. I recreated the button on the Volumes and Materials panel in the Analyze tab of the ribbon.

Civil 3D 2015 Volumes.png

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 7 of 17
rjg915

That's what I do now, was hoping there was a way to have autocad subtract or add those areas in.  Carlson's earthwork program does it so I figured this should, but apparently not.

Message 8 of 17
Pointdump

RJG,

"...I think there should be an easier way."

Unfortunately, the more a program does, the more complicated it becomes. Creating multiple comparison surfaces doesn't seem that difficult to me.

I'm curious. If Carlson's Earthworks Program is so easy, why aren't you using it to get your quantities?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 17
rjg915

I am forced to use civil 3d because of license conflicts.  I have to save my civil 3d back down to use carlson; their earthwork program is what everyone in the office was used to.  You create all your sub-grade limits, enter your depths and the volume calc breaks it all out.  But seeing that I have to use 3d, thought someone here could offer some advice on how they break their sub-grades out.  Each program has its faults.

There's a material volume tab in 3d but can't get it to work.  I am wondering if anyone has ever used that component, maybe I just don't understand what the "material volume tab" is really.  My thought is that you add in your materials and then you calculate your volumes utilizing the materials you created.

If creating multiple surface is the best way then so be it.

Message 10 of 17
neilyj666

Dynamic differential TINS may be a way forward for you http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/66/245206/1/cdieziger@gmail.com

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 11 of 17
rjg915
in reply to: neilyj666

Now this sounds like a good solution, I'll take a look at this.  Thanks

Message 12 of 17
neilyj666

It's a good technique but there is a bit of upfront work preparing the depth/thickness models

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 13 of 17
Joe-Bouza

I'll bite.

How does Carlson do it?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Yeah... why not?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
Joe-Bouza

@rjg915 wrote:

I am forced to use civil 3d because of license conflicts.  I have to save my civil 3d back down to use carlson; their earthwork program is what everyone in the office was used to.  You create all your sub-grade limits, enter your depths and the volume calc breaks it all out.  But seeing that I have to use 3d, thought someone here could offer some advice on how they break their sub-grades out.  Each program has its faults.

There's a material volume tab in 3d but can't get it to work.  I am wondering if anyone has ever used that component, maybe I just don't understand what the "material volume tab" is really.  My thought is that you add in your materials and then you calculate your volumes utilizing the materials you created.

If creating multiple surface is the best way then so be it.

Right, and thats exactly what you have to tell civil3d

Your Name

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
rjg915

Carlson runs on an autocad platform and isn't much different than civil 3d in performing earthwork.  You create an existing and design surface; it uses polylines with elevations attached.  You define your depths of sub-grade, topsoil, etc.  You outline your subgrade limits on a separate layer.  Then calculate your volumes.  The only difference here would be that your not creating a surface for the sub-grades; it does it for you.

Message 17 of 17
Pointdump

RJG,

I think any Carlson program that runs on an AutoCAD platform can be added to Civil 3D. If you're used to Carlson, that might be the best of all worlds. There are a ton of "add-ons" available that C3D'ers use to make life easier.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report