Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earthwork Quantities/Corridors

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
887 Views, 9 Replies

Earthwork Quantities/Corridors

Good morning all. I was wondering what everyone is doing for quantities in respect to corridors. We have not used corridors a lot in past and are starting to use them more frequently and would like to take advantage of the software to generate some quantities. Mainly, I was wondering if it is possible to calculate the different levels of the road section, surface cource, base course, aggregate base, etc... and of course the cut and fill from the corridor section. We are using civil 3d 2013, thanks in advance.

Lang

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Using the shapes that are part of your various subassemblies will allow you to very quickly quantify your import materials. See the Analyze tab of the Ribbon and Compute Materials.

Creating a Datum surface of the corridor and comparing that to EG using Volumes Dashboard is a fast way to calculate earthworks.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
gccdaemon

It's possible to do this. You'll have to create separate surfaces from the point codes that define your materials. Then you'll use the Volumes dashboard to compare the two surfaces to give you the volumes you need.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: gccdaemon

I have gotten about half way there I suppose. I am not sure how to get it to calculate all the cut for my corridor in one motion, if it is possible. I got to calculate the cut in this case, but only from the existing surface down to the top of pavement, is it possible to have it calculate down to the bottom of my subgrade in one shot?

Message 5 of 10
tcorey

Yes, that is possible.

Have you learned about Corridor Surfaces and how to create them? Read up on Subassembly Links.

If you have links that use the same Link Code across an entire Assembly, those links can be made to create surfaces. Typically, the subassemblies that come with Civil 3D will have Top and Datum link codes. If you create a surface from either of those, it can be compared against OG.

I'm not sure why you would stop your cut at top of pavement. Wouldn't you want to cut all the way down to the bottom of any import materials? Typically, you would use Datum to make the corridor surface for use in Cut/Fill calculations.

If you have more complex needs, or if you're just looking for something else to learn, you might want to read my blog describing how to calculate volumes between multiple surfaces and at varying depths:

http://timsc3dblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/workflow-for-calculating-multi-material.html

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, I will read over your blog, it looks like it has some useful information in it. I definitely do want my cut to go all the way to the bottom of my sub-base but for what ever reason, I cannot get it to measure down to there? This is way more complex than I thought it would be, hopefully I will get it figured out here soon because we would love to be able to use this. I will do some more homework and see what I come up with.

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
tcorey

If it will help you, phone me at my office on Monday, too busy this week, and we can connect remotely. I will show you how the process works. It'll take five or ten minutes.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks Tim, now I am not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth... would it be possible for a raincheck? I will be on vacation for 2 weeks starting Friday, I will be back in town May 19th. Would it be possible to try some time after that?

Message 9 of 10
tcorey

No problem, of course. Just call when you get back. I am more available on Mondays...

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Will do, thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report