AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Active Contributor
torpedo99
Message 1 of 6 (1,299 Views)
Accepted Solution

Dynamically Dependent Profiles?

1299 Views, 5 Replies
04-11-2013 11:32 AM

I've heard it said that it's possible to make two separate layout profiles dynamically dependent.  For example, making a driveway centerline profile dependent on the roadway centerline profile it's connected to.  The idea is that if you revise the roadway centerline profile, up or down, that the driveway profile will automatically go up or down with it.

Is this true?  I didn't readily see anything in the profiles area of the docs or the tutorials.

If it's possible to do this, where should I start in the docs to learn how?  Also, does it work pretty well (it seems like this would be logistically challenging...)

Thanks,

Yes, you can do it with an intersection.  If you don't want to model a surface and curb returns etc. etc., you can toggle off the option in the wizard as you create the intersection.  The result is simply one profile locked onto the other at that point.  Make sure to select the primary profile correctly: you will be able to edit the primary, the secondary will be locked at that point.

Valued Contributor
Ed.McGriskin
Message 2 of 6 (1,295 Views)

Re: Dynamically Dependent Profiles?

04-11-2013 11:43 AM in reply to: torpedo99

I know this function exist as part of the Intersection object but I don't think it exists to manually do it. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Civil 3D 2013 - Windows 7(64 bit)

Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 3 of 6 (1,290 Views)

04-11-2013 11:52 AM in reply to: Ed.McGriskin

Yes, you can do it with an intersection.  If you don't want to model a surface and curb returns etc. etc., you can toggle off the option in the wizard as you create the intersection.  The result is simply one profile locked onto the other at that point.  Make sure to select the primary profile correctly: you will be able to edit the primary, the secondary will be locked at that point.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

MARCFOLSOM7010
Message 4 of 6 (1,224 Views)

04-29-2013 05:23 AM in reply to: troma

To DL the profiles via the intersections wizard the intersection wizard can only be used in the corridors source file - correct?  If correct does this mean the profiles must be in the corridor source file to DL or can the profiles be DL'd via dref or promote or etc etc etc?  I have been able to DL when the profiles and corridor are in the same drawing but this seems to complicate workflow so there must be a better way?

2012 c3d x 64
w7 pro
xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.40 ghz
16 gb
ati radeon hd 5450, 1 gb
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 5 of 6 (1,217 Views)

04-29-2013 05:34 AM in reply to: MARCFOLSOM7010

I'm having a hard time understanding your question.  Intersections can be used with or without corridors.  I don't use the modelling capeabilities of intersections, I only use them to lock one profile onto another, so I can't discuss how they interact with corridors in detail.

The intersection sets the PVI for the secondary profile, so it must be in the same drawing as the secondary profile.  I assume though, that you could d-ref the primary alignment & profile into a drawing to use to create an intersection and set the PVI of your secondary profile.  I've never tried it.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

MARCFOLSOM7010
Message 6 of 6 (1,201 Views)

04-29-2013 08:09 AM in reply to: troma

Being able to DL profile without corridors made the difference.  PVI was DL in secondary profile with primary profile dref'd.  Worked perfect.  Thanks!

2012 c3d x 64
w7 pro
xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.40 ghz
16 gb
ati radeon hd 5450, 1 gb
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!