Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically Dependent Profiles?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
torpedo99
1752 Views, 5 Replies

Dynamically Dependent Profiles?

I've heard it said that it's possible to make two separate layout profiles dynamically dependent.  For example, making a driveway centerline profile dependent on the roadway centerline profile it's connected to.  The idea is that if you revise the roadway centerline profile, up or down, that the driveway profile will automatically go up or down with it.

Is this true?  I didn't readily see anything in the profiles area of the docs or the tutorials.

If it's possible to do this, where should I start in the docs to learn how?  Also, does it work pretty well (it seems like this would be logistically challenging...)

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: torpedo99

I know this function exist as part of the Intersection object but I don't think it exists to manually do it. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 3 of 6
troma
in reply to: Ed.McGriskin

Yes, you can do it with an intersection.  If you don't want to model a surface and curb returns etc. etc., you can toggle off the option in the wizard as you create the intersection.  The result is simply one profile locked onto the other at that point.  Make sure to select the primary profile correctly: you will be able to edit the primary, the secondary will be locked at that point.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 6
MARCFOLSOM7010
in reply to: troma

To DL the profiles via the intersections wizard the intersection wizard can only be used in the corridors source file - correct?  If correct does this mean the profiles must be in the corridor source file to DL or can the profiles be DL'd via dref or promote or etc etc etc?  I have been able to DL when the profiles and corridor are in the same drawing but this seems to complicate workflow so there must be a better way?

2012 c3d x 64
w7 pro
xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.40 ghz
16 gb
ati radeon hd 5450, 1 gb
Message 5 of 6
troma
in reply to: MARCFOLSOM7010

I'm having a hard time understanding your question.  Intersections can be used with or without corridors.  I don't use the modelling capeabilities of intersections, I only use them to lock one profile onto another, so I can't discuss how they interact with corridors in detail.

The intersection sets the PVI for the secondary profile, so it must be in the same drawing as the secondary profile.  I assume though, that you could d-ref the primary alignment & profile into a drawing to use to create an intersection and set the PVI of your secondary profile.  I've never tried it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 6
MARCFOLSOM7010
in reply to: troma

Being able to DL profile without corridors made the difference.  PVI was DL in secondary profile with primary profile dref'd.  Worked perfect.  Thanks!

2012 c3d x 64
w7 pro
xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.40 ghz
16 gb
ati radeon hd 5450, 1 gb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report