Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dynamic labels

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
lgraham
2004 Views, 17 Replies

dynamic labels

is there a way to get static labels with out having to explode them?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
castled071049
in reply to: lgraham

What do you mean by "static"? 

Message 3 of 18
doni49
in reply to: castled071049

@castled071049 wrote:

What do you mean by "static"? 

Typically, when someone talks about "Dynamic" and "Static", Dynamic would be such that it automatically updates when the thing/object to which it refers changes and Static would be the opposite.  And since I can't imagine any other use of those two words as they relate to C3D labels, I'll assume that's what the OP means.

To that end, I have to ask:  "WHY would you want to do this?"  That just opens up the possibility for errors.  What is your end goal.  (But to answer the question asked, I really doubt there's a way to have it directly create a static label).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 18
castled071049

I was thinking that by "static" the OP might be confusing the term with "non-associative," and hence my question. 

Message 5 of 18
lgraham
in reply to: castled071049

just so happens where I work we want to label but not have the label remain dynamic - guess explode twice is the only option
thanks for the replies
Message 6 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Why would your company want to do that? It defeats the purpose of civil3d.
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 18
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Why would your company want to do that? It defeats the purpose of civil3d.

I was just getting ready to ask the same thing.  The way things are dynamically linked is one of the absolute hands down best things about C3D (as far as the things I use go).  I used to deal with drawings in which every thing was static and it was a nightmare trying to keep it all straight.

I love the fact that when one thing changes, everything that depends upon it also get changed.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 18
doni49
in reply to: doni49

P.S.

If you're going to explode everything down (so that it's static, you might as well use vanilla acad, perform the calculations manually and be done with it.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 18
lgraham
in reply to: doni49

well let me ask you this - when you draw a plot plan using plot bearings and distances then the crew goes into the field and comes back with field bearings and distances - how do you enter that information onto your plan keeping everything dynamic? we do hundreds of those a day for builders and it is just easier if the text does not stay dynamic - we are not working on large sets of drawings

Message 10 of 18
rl_jackson

Select the B&D Object, right click and select edit text.

You and also add additional info here so that your label is dynamic but the plat or record info is not. You can edit just as if you were adding additional mtext.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rl_jackson

Sanity to the rescue 🙂
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 18
doni49

@lgraham wrote:

well let me ask you this - when you draw a plot plan using plot bearings and distances then the crew goes into the field and comes back with field bearings and distances - how do you enter that information onto your plan keeping everything dynamic? we do hundreds of those a day for builders and it is just easier if the text does not stay dynamic - we are not working on large sets of drawings

Hmmm.   You've just presented a situation that I've never had to deal with.  That's the first time I've seen a situation in which I wouldn't want them linked.

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 18
deltacoolguy

@lgraham wrote:

Having done many plats and boundary surveys in my lifetime, I understand your predicament.

I haven't done any since Land Desktop, though, but if I were doing one now I would probably keep the field measurements dynamic than add alternate or deviating historical information as simple text.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 14 of 18
lgraham
in reply to: deltacoolguy

thanks for the ideas -
Message 15 of 18
jmayo-EE
in reply to: deltacoolguy

We have done a number of boundaries with deed and surveyed data. We have either kept the surveyed boundary as a parcel and added txt for the deed boundary OR one file w/ a parcel for each. XREF both in to sheet, move & rotate deed to survey and set deed parcel segement layer to No-Plot.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 18
Strandly

As a land surveyor I COGO and dimension the record bearings and distances and then save that as a block.  This way I can drop the block on top of the field measurements and explode, delete/insert, rotate, etc.  I use a no-plot layer to do the linework and dimensions on the field measurements.  So basically I guess the short answer here is to have 2 sets of linework, one for record and one for measured.  As far as combining the data you can either edit the label like mentioned earlier or place an MTEXT near the dynamic label with your record info.

Message 17 of 18
jbear0000

It would have been helpful is 50% of this thread wasn't people asking "Ugh, why would you want to do this??!!!" My reason is I need hundreds of surface labels which are shown as proposed on project A to show up in project B as existing/under construction in a new under construction base plan I need to create from the project A base files and I don't want the surface from project A to be referenced in project B since project B will have its own surface.

ANYWAY..... Has anyone found an easy way to convert the labels from dynamic to static? So that the text inside the label doesn't read as <[Surface Elevation(Uft|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]> to automatically get the surface elevation, but instead reads as 100.00? Yes I know I can edit them manually and yes I know I can explode them, but it sure would be nice to be able to convert several hundred labels to be static all at once without exploding them so that the scaling properties of the label aren't lost when exploding it.

Message 18 of 18
MMcCall402
in reply to: jbear0000

As far as I know there isn't a way to make them static.

Is simply xreffing them in on a layer from project A not an option?

or

If project A file are used to make project B file and that same surface is to be further modified in project B but you still want the same labels as A,  you could make a new surface, paste the surface from A into it, lock this new surface, redirect the surface labels to this new surface.  That would set the labels to a locked copy of the surface and allow the surface that came from A to be edited without affecting the labels.  They would in essence, be static.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report