Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic labels that show northing/easting AND construction grid coordinates

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nloder
3380 Views, 4 Replies

Dynamic labels that show northing/easting AND construction grid coordinates

I would like to dynamically label points' state plane northing/easting AND their coordinates according to an arbitrary construction grid.  I tried using Settings Toolspace -> Edit Drawing Settings -> Transformation Tab to define the "grid coordinates" based on my origin and rotation, but this does not seem to work.  Any thoughts? 

My end-goal is to have a table, for example:

State Plane N   ||   State Plane E   ||   Construction Grid N  ||   Construction Grid E  ||

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mathewkol
in reply to: nloder

The only thing that will work, as far as I know, will be the transformation tab. You'll have to tweak that until it works. Make sure your label style is labelling grid northing and easting. These are the coords after that tab has had its way with them.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 5
nloder
in reply to: mathewkol

That is what I tried with no avail.  I tried setting the base point and rotation, but the grid coordinates are slightly off (about 2').  At first I was thinking the drawing coordinate system (State Plane) was modifying the transformation, so I tried setting the actual coordinate system to "Arbitrary," but it still doesn't work.  For example, a point 500' away from the grid origin has a 2' error, and a point 2000' away from the grid origin has a 30' error, etc.

Has anyone else had success with this??  Is there a 3rd party app for this?

Message 4 of 5
Sinc

To get this to work, your Northing and Easting values should hold the coordinates in your assumed ground (construction) coordinates.  Your State Plane coordinates will then show up in the Grid Northing and Grid Easting.

First, set your State Plane zone in the Units and Settings tab.  Then on the Transformation tab, I find the easiest method is to select two control points in the "Reference point" and "Rotation point" sections - C3D will automatically fill in the "Local Northing" and "Local Easting" from the selected control points.  Then manually type in your desired State Plane coordinates for each point in the "Grid Northing" and "Grid Easting" sections.  C3D will automatically calculate the grid rotation angle.  Finally, key in your combined scale factor for your site as a "User-Defined" value in the "Grid Scale Factor" section.

I've attached an image.  The values indicated in red are the ones I typed in;  C3D generated the others.

TransformationTab.png

Sinc
Message 5 of 5
nloder

That clears it up.  Before I was trying to set a grid rotation angle with a single reference point;  setting two reference points and manually setting their grid northings/eastings was the trick.  I also found it necessary to set the coordinate system to the HARN (HPGN) flavor of my state plane zone.  Many many thanks!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report