Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block Text

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
DrWileFTracer
2840 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic Block Text

Is it possible to have a dynamic block with text which, when inserted into a drawing, will show the text orientation matched to the layout? I have a non-dynamic block which is simply a donut and a piece of text. When I insert it into a drawing, the text orientation will change to suit the orientation of the layout. I created another block with the same entities but I also added a couple of lines extending out from the center of the donut. I added stretch and rotation actions in order to rotate and stretch the lines. I also gave the block visibility states so that either one or two lines would appear (the block is a utility pole,by the way, with the lines representing guy wires). When I insert the dynamic block into a drawing, I cannot get the text to match the orientation of the viewport. I've tried changing different combinations of settings but the text won't appear horizontal.

Thanks in advance

Wil

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
machadt
in reply to: DrWileFTracer

Hi Wil,

Could you please show us an image of what you are seeing?

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 3 of 7

The block is attached. The text always appears in the same orientation as per when it was inserted in the drawing. So if the ucs is set to world, the text will be horizontal in that orientation. In any viewport not having the ucs set to world, the text will not display horizontally but rather it will rotate with the changed ucs.

Wilf Carter
Senior Designer

[cid:image001.png@01CE40ED.6A447060]

102 Portland Street
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada B2Y 1H8
www.ablenvironmental.com
Ph: 902-466-0050 Ext: 111
Fax: 902-469-4399
wcarter@ablenvironmental.com
Message 4 of 7
tcorey

Make the block non-annotative, but make the attribute annotative. Be sure the text style assigned to the attribute is also annotative and the property to "Match text orientation to layout" is turned on for that style.

You have to use an attribute. Just a text object inside a block won't work, even if the test style is annotative.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 7
DrWileFTracer
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks. I recreated the block with attributes as per your instructions. The text now aligns correctly in all viewports.

It would be great if the block could be made associative so that it would always appear at the appropriate size regardless of the drawing scale. I now have to have a different block for each drawing scale. Oh well, at least the text alignment issue is resolved. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
rl_jackson

You could alway create the block as annotative, and just not include the text for the block in the as part of the rotation compentents that way it is always plan (stays in the same position). I use a block for parking spaces counts that scales in model space based on the annotation scale and the attributes within it are not annotative. I prefer the scaling verses giving the block a scale on insert.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
troma

If you can put your block into a C3D 'Note' label it will react to the scale, and you can put text in the same label. You can have the whole thing rotate to suit the view. But I guess you can't really do it with a dynamic block, from what I've heard.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report