Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic block orientation

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
DrWileFTracer
1613 Views, 9 Replies

Dynamic block orientation

I have a dynamic block for a utility pole which is a donut with two invisibility states - one for just the pole and the other for the pole with a guy wire. Next to the donut are the letters "UP". I would like the letters to match the orientation of the viewport they are displayed in. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

Wil

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rl_jackson
in reply to: DrWileFTracer

Make the text in the block annotative, and change the box in properties (Match Viewport Rotation)

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
rl_jackson
in reply to: rl_jackson

FYI: You can also make your guy wire dynamic so the you can vary its location. Look into custom parameters, stretch.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10

I tried doing that but when I chose "yes" to match orientation, it just defaulted back to "No" I tried doing it in the drawing file itself as well as the assembled blocks drawing file I inserted it into. I assume I'm doing something incorrectly somewhere along the line. Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

Thanks

Wil

Message 5 of 10
rl_jackson

When you create the block, make the block annotative. This will also allow you to select match view orientation, you may or may not want to do this depending on your situation.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 6 of 10

When I created the block, I made the text annotative and I am able to revise the property of the text to match the orientation of the viewport. When I make the block annotative, however, I can't change the property to allow the block to match the orientation in the viewport - it keeps defaulting back to "No" when I choose "Yes".

Message 7 of 10
rl_jackson

Upload block and version - I'll see what I can do with it.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

Here it is.

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
rl_jackson

What version

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
rl_jackson

Ok, I took a look at your block in C3D11, and it is works as you requested when I do a dview twist of the viewport the text stays plan readable. On the otherhand if you rotate the ucs in model space it does not. Personally I only do that on a temporary basis as some things within C3D just do not fuction as expected when you rotate the UCS (North is always up).

One thing you may what to do is create the block at 1:1 Annotation Scale (currently 1:1000), and make sure that it is drawn at the size representing what you want it to be on the paper space of the drawing.

Hope that helps.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report