Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF units

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
neilyj666
1272 Views, 9 Replies

DXF units

I've extracted a dxf (in metres) from another software package but then opening in Civil 3D, the units are Feet. I presume this is template related as my usual template is metric and has many predetermined layers which are missing in the newly opened drawing.

The question then is - when opening a dxf file, which template is being used??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: neilyj666

Opening a DXF file does not use a template. The DXF contains all of the data to recreate the drawing. You can open the DXF with a text editor and read all of the data it contains.. There will be an entry in the DXF for INSUNITS and it's 70 code will likely have a value of 2, for feet.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff - attached is a screenshot showing the only two occurences of the string "UNITS" in the dxf - first is 2 the second is 1 - presumably this is written by the 3rd pary program that the dxf was derived from??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Jeff_M

Yes, this is written by whatever program created the DXF output. Those 2 units entries are for Linear and ANgular units...the 2 for LUNITS signifies that linear units are decimal format, and the 1 for AUNITS signifies that angular units are in deg/min/sec format.

I just imported an old DXF file I have, it appears that when the INSUNITS is not found in the DXF, Autocad defaults to using feet. Not sure of a way to work around that....or if you need to to, as this only would have any effect when importing drawings into this new drawing, or when it is inserted to another.

EESignature
Message 5 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks again - I'll get on to the software developers and see if they can add the INSUNITS to their dxf routines.

I generally just open these dxfs to RENAME the layers to suit my standards but when INSERTing it always displays the Units as Feet - which I don't like as I prefer all the data to be in the same units for ease of use.....

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Jeff_M

Something you might try: Start Autocad (not C3D, so use the ".... as Autocad" shortcut) and start a new drawing using a minimal metric template. Then, instead of opening the DXF file, use the command DXFIN. This may give you results closer to what you expect.

Or, you could manually add the INSUNITS value to the DXF file. Order doesn't matter, as long as you place it near one of the other UNITS entries so it falls in the correct category. Follow the same format you see the other existing entries use.

EESignature
Message 7 of 10
neilyj666

Thanks again Jeff - both methods still gave the same results i.e. the units are feet after issuing the UNITS command - I suppose its easy enough to change this to Unitless though.....

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

Have you checked the INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE & INSUNITSDEFTARGET Sysvars?

ins.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

Yes - all set to 0.

I guess the reason is due to the way the dxf is read in C3D

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
AllenJessup

Just a guess. But I'd try setting  INSUNITSDEFSOURCE to 6.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report