Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.dwl & .dwl2 files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
arobinson
1649 Views, 3 Replies

.dwl & .dwl2 files

A problem we having been experiencing lately is the absence of .dwl & .dwl2 files in our network storage drives.  Sometimes after working is a drawing the original user of the drawing tries to save the file - at that point they're informed by a error message that the drawing is in use by someone else and the drawing is read-only.

It's the original holder of the drawing that is getting the error message - not the user who opens the drawing after the original user already has the file open.  There are no messages to the secondary user that he/she has opened a drawing that is already in use - they just inherit the drawing and the first user is kicked out.

It doesn't happen all the time - just periodically.  We're afraid it's going to create a real problem when modifications get overwritten.  We're using AutoCAD Map 2008, AutoCAD Map 2010, and Civil 2010 on a Windows XP network.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks

April

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
eskann
in reply to: arobinson

Any luck finding a cuase?   I'm seeing the same thing happening at one of my clients. He could be working in a drawing for hours, and then someone else opens the file with no read only message.  Then the original owner ends up having the drawing read only.

I've also noticed that the dwl and dwl2 files don't automatically get removed once he saves and exists the drawing.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: eskann

Off the top of my head:

- Win XP and Win 7 users on same network 

- Win and Mac users on same network

- NAS

- DFS

- users automatically signing into AutoDesk 360 at logon (ie. not paying attention) and auto-sync'ing content to cloud storage

- insufficient network infrastructure

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: eskann

Make sure the users have full rights to the folder on the network that the dwgs (dwl) files are in, including rights to delete. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report