Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Data Referenced Objects

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ARC0112358
1040 Views, 5 Replies

Duplicate Data Referenced Objects

Not sure if this is something that has been going on a while, if it is a design flaw, or if it just a workflow thing that we should be more mindful of, but here goes:

1. I data reference an alignment into a drawing.

2. I later data reference in a profile that was created from and associated with that alignment.

In this scenario, Civil 3D creates a duplicate alignment for the profile i.e., the orginal alignment is in prospetor as 'Alignment A' and the profile being data referenced in creates a 'Alignemnt A (1)' duplicate and associates itself with it.

This also happens if I bring in a different profile created from the same alignment IF the alignment was already present as a data reference in the drawing.

This seems wrong.

It doesn't do any of this if I data reference the profile in first...

Weird or just me?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RickCarle-PE
in reply to: ARC0112358

I have seen duplicate references show up on two separate projects now.  I thought the first project was just user error, but now it has happened again.  You may be onto something with the profiles, but the one proejct I had this happen on did not have profiles in the drawing.

Message 3 of 6
troma

I'm d-reffing multiple alignments & profiles.  Haven't seen a problem with them yet.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 6
RickCarle-PE
in reply to: troma

I realized after some more research that the reason it was happening is that we had a user copying surface labels from one drawing to another drawing. If you do that, it will copy the data source with it and if an object already exists in that new drawing with the same name, it creates the copy.
Message 5 of 6
troma
in reply to: RickCarle-PE

We had problems with duplicating pipe networks.  Had to tell everyone not to copy a structure!  Also, I think frozen or locked layers may have been the problem.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 6
jameshitt

Good to hear about the probable cause of the duplicates: copying civil 3d objects and labels from other drawings. However what I'm running into along this is that my previously-created profile views are referencing the duplicate versions of the alignment references--the ones with "(1)" at the end of the name.

To try and resolve, I delete the original, then try to rename the duplicate to remove the "(1)", but it won't allow it as if the original is still in the drawing (even though I just deleted it).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report