Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Description Key Sets - how do I sort them?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bcsurvey
432 Views, 4 Replies

Dual Description Key Sets - how do I sort them?

I have created two desc. key sets, one for the drafting phase (larger point markers and use of color for easy point ID), and one for displaying the points for the final product (standard markers and minimal use of color, various point data turned off).  I am producing surveys, not design work.

When I right-click on Descripton Key Sets under "Points" in the Settings tab of Toolspace, I get a list of the current key sets similar to doing the same thing with the Point Groups.  I'm able to use the up/down arrows to move them how I'd like (I assume that they are processed from the bottom to top like the point groups).  Well, not only do I have a duplicate of one of the key sets in this Properties window, but when I arrange them how I like and hit Apply and Ok, the positions of the key sets are not changed.  Going back in to the Properties window shows them as they were originally.  I've attached an image that shows the duplicate key sets, along with the other set.

Can someone help with this?

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Sinc
in reply to: bcsurvey

I've never seen anything like that.  It looks like your drawing is corrupted.

Sinc
Message 3 of 5
bcsurvey

Ok Sinc, I found a solution, and this is mostly for the sake of any future searches from other users. 

I opened a template with no desc. key sets in it, along with this drawing file.  Then I dragged each of the two desc key sets into the template, checking after each one to see if there were duplicates in the Properties window.  There weren't, even after saving, recovering, and reopening.  Then I went back into the original drawing and deleted both desc key sets, saved, and reopened.  After closing and reopening C3D and doing a recover on both the original drawing and the template, I dragged the desc key sets from the template back to the original dwg and saved.  From this point, all went well.

To address my initial question, the positions of multiple desc key sets is shown correctly in the Description Key Set Properties window, but NOT in the Settings tab of Toolspace.  I was able to get good operation by right-clicking All_Points under the Point Groups and choosing Apply Description Keys (after moving the desired Desc Key set to the top of the list under its Properties window).  

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 4 of 5
andrewpuller3811

The Description Key Sets on the settings tab tree view appear in alphabetical order.

The order they appear in the Description Key Sets Search Order dialogue is the order that they are processed in.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 5

andrewpuller3811 has it right, it processes description key sets alphabetically and then the individual sets as they are organized (you can move them).  I would also watch wildcards (*), I ran into an issue where it kept getting handled by another key instead of the latter key handling it, turned out to be an issue of an asterisk.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report