Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dref Surface labels ???

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Jeff_M
1453 Views, 29 Replies

Dref Surface labels ???

I've added spot elevation labels for a dref'ed surface in a number of drawing for a project. Some drawings open and display fine, others open but fail to update the labels with the surface elevation, leaving the label with ???'s in place of the elevation. If I force the Surface to Synchronize (even though it shows as being in-sync), THEN the labels will display correctly. I don't recall having seen this issue in the past, and I am not finding any previous posts about it, either. What's strange is that a drawing which exhibits this issue, will sometimes load and display correctly. So it's not a consistent problem, but enough so that I now know I will never be able to Publish these sheets. 

Has anyone else seen this? Know what to do about it?

Thanks!

C3D2012, SP2.1

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
MattHough2641
in reply to: sboon

Well, I finally had this happen to me on a rush job.  I have yet to get it figured out, but did find that life became a little easeier when I entered the command: "synchronizereferences".  This did not kick me to model space like the other ways to synchronize, and worked pretty quickly so I could just use the command and plot.  Unfortunatly I have to do this every time I want to plot the sheets.  Good luck

Message 22 of 30
Jeff_M
in reply to: MattHough2641

Matt, you might find THIS message, and the following one, of interest. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 23 of 30
jmarquez1234
in reply to: Jeff_M

Did you ever solved this problem? I am having the same issue where my surfaces in the data shortcut dont sync at opening of my final sheet.
Message 24 of 30
C3D-Nash
in reply to: jmarquez1234

The post that Jeff_M linked above touches on the cause of the problem.  We found the cause of the problem not long after I posted on it last time, I just haven't been back to the boards to share.

The problem is caused with a file is Xrefed into your drawing containing a surface and pipe network that is also Drefed into your drawing.  My theory on it is that the Xref loads first and the drawing thinks the Dref is already loaded because it sees it in the Xref.  The problem started in 2012 SP2.0 I believe, and it remains up through 2013 SP1.  I have not checked 2014 for the issue yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's fixed.

Currently the only work around we have is to unload the Xref that contains the objects that Drefed and not synching in your file.  From most of my testing, it appears that this is only happening when the Xref contains Pipe Networks, but it affects surfaces and alignments in the drawing you are trying to do the work in.  If you've already setup sheets (let's call this Plans.dwg) that have both the Dref and Xref objects, then I would recommend opening that design file (call this 3D.dwg) that contains the pipe network, Save As something else (call this 2D.dwg), delete all pipe networks and alignments, and finally Xref 2D.dwg into Plans.dwg.  From this point forward avoid putting Objects that you wish to Dref in files that you will need to Xref.

Message 25 of 30
jmarquez1234
in reply to: C3D-Nash

Thanks for your response. What you wrote was exactly right. I have existing
surfaces xref in to my final sheets drawing from my design drawings and
also I had the existing surface data shortcut in into my final sheets. Once
I remove the Data shortcut surface from the final sheets everything started
syncing again.

Thanks

Jacob Maquez
Message 26 of 30
JCyganiak
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

I have searched and searched for a SOLUTATION to this problem and I can only find work arounds. This issue makes me want to punch someone in the face. And were certainely not changing our company work flow to resolve this issue (beacause hopefully Autodesk releaizes this is a big problem). We are running 2014 SP1... have you come across anything yet or have you noticed this issue in 2015?

Thanks,

Joe Cyganiak
Civil Engineering Senior Designer
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 27 of 30
C3D-Nash
in reply to: MattHough2641

We worked through this issue in 2015 beta testing and a solution was found.  The last beta build worked correctly, so I assume that the final shipped product has the solution as well.  I've requested to the dev team that they include this fix and another dealing with pipe network style overrides not holding upon synchronization in a service pack for 2014, which I'm hoping will come soon.

Message 28 of 30
JCyganiak
in reply to: C3D-Nash

Thanks for your response. We have a webinar next week on the new features
of 2015. If 2015 has this issue fixed I'm sure we'll make the move to it.
However, I'm always hesitant jumping to a new version before the 1st
service pack release.
Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 29 of 30
JCyganiak
in reply to: JCyganiak

ok... has anyone tried not data referencing their PR Surface in the sheets, and labeling the suface grades through the xref? Something so simple I can't believe it's taken me this long (Jan 2014) to think about it. If you turn on only your proposed surface boundary in your base file and set the boundary to not print it will allow you to select the surface in the sheet, and add your labels.

We have the EG surface broke out into it's own source dwg, the alignments are in their own source dwg, the PG surface and corridors are together in a source dwg. We create our PGL's in the profile in the PG surface for the corridor and then create a data shortcut of the PGL per alignment. Reference the PGL for your sheet, and label the pipe networks through the base xref.

The only pipe network we have referenced into our sheets is the sanitary so that we can draw the system in the profile.

I tried this, saved, closed, re-opened, and the surface labels held.

Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 30 of 30

Thanks everyone for the input.  JC, holy crap why didnt I think of that hahaha.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report