Well, I finally had this happen to me on a rush job. I have yet to get it figured out, but did find that life became a little easeier when I entered the command: "synchronizereferences". This did not kick me to model space like the other ways to synchronize, and worked pretty quickly so I could just use the command and plot. Unfortunatly I have to do this every time I want to plot the sheets. Good luck
The post that Jeff_M linked above touches on the cause of the problem. We found the cause of the problem not long after I posted on it last time, I just haven't been back to the boards to share.
The problem is caused with a file is Xrefed into your drawing containing a surface and pipe network that is also Drefed into your drawing. My theory on it is that the Xref loads first and the drawing thinks the Dref is already loaded because it sees it in the Xref. The problem started in 2012 SP2.0 I believe, and it remains up through 2013 SP1. I have not checked 2014 for the issue yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's fixed.
Currently the only work around we have is to unload the Xref that contains the objects that Drefed and not synching in your file. From most of my testing, it appears that this is only happening when the Xref contains Pipe Networks, but it affects surfaces and alignments in the drawing you are trying to do the work in. If you've already setup sheets (let's call this Plans.dwg) that have both the Dref and Xref objects, then I would recommend opening that design file (call this 3D.dwg) that contains the pipe network, Save As something else (call this 2D.dwg), delete all pipe networks and alignments, and finally Xref 2D.dwg into Plans.dwg. From this point forward avoid putting Objects that you wish to Dref in files that you will need to Xref.
I have searched and searched for a SOLUTATION to this problem and I can only find work arounds. This issue makes me want to punch someone in the face. And were certainely not changing our company work flow to resolve this issue (beacause hopefully Autodesk releaizes this is a big problem). We are running 2014 SP1... have you come across anything yet or have you noticed this issue in 2015?
We worked through this issue in 2015 beta testing and a solution was found. The last beta build worked correctly, so I assume that the final shipped product has the solution as well. I've requested to the dev team that they include this fix and another dealing with pipe network style overrides not holding upon synchronization in a service pack for 2014, which I'm hoping will come soon.
ok... has anyone tried not data referencing their PR Surface in the sheets, and labeling the suface grades through the xref? Something so simple I can't believe it's taken me this long (Jan 2014) to think about it. If you turn on only your proposed surface boundary in your base file and set the boundary to not print it will allow you to select the surface in the sheet, and add your labels.
We have the EG surface broke out into it's own source dwg, the alignments are in their own source dwg, the PG surface and corridors are together in a source dwg. We create our PGL's in the profile in the PG surface for the corridor and then create a data shortcut of the PGL per alignment. Reference the PGL for your sheet, and label the pipe networks through the base xref.
The only pipe network we have referenced into our sheets is the sanitary so that we can draw the system in the profile.
I tried this, saved, closed, re-opened, and the surface labels held.