Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dref alignment losing sample line group

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
USI-AutoCAD
1342 Views, 6 Replies

Dref alignment losing sample line group

C3D R13.2 - Only time this is occuring with this one drawing. SOP on previous projects:

We created the Finished centerline alignment and profile in Drawing A.

Dref into Drawing B to create corridor and cross sections in separate dwg B.

Create sample line group to Dref alignment, save, close.

Reopen and centerline HAS to be synchronized everytime, corridor then rebuilds.

Result is only one sample line defined in the sample line group @ sta. 0+00.

What is keeping the sample line file from restoring itself???

A question that puzzles mankind......................

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: USI-AutoCAD

Go to "Alignment Properties" for this Centerline alignment used for Sample Line Group in the troubled XS dwg.

I'm going to guess that the station range for this alignment shows the alignment starting @ 0+00 and ending @ 0+00.

Is this the case?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
USI-AutoCAD

You are correct.

After I created the sample line group, they displayed properly in both toolspace and model space along the alignment.

Once the drawing is closed and reopened, it only displays as you described and shows only the one in model space.

Message 4 of 7
USI-AutoCAD
in reply to: Jay_B

The alignment shows the station range as described. It is only when you synchronize do you get the correct properties on the alignment.

Message 5 of 7
Jay_B

Well that's a start but these can be tricky.

Bottom line is there may some sort of DREF conflict with an Xref causing this hiccup.

Re: your workflow, to make sure I'm following:

Drawing A has: Alignment and Profile.

Drawing B has: Corridor, Sample Lines & Section Views?

Are Points and EG surface also in a separate file?

Any other C3d source Xref's are attached to Drawing B?

Is Corridor set to Rebuild Automatic? If not try it.

When you Sampled sources for the Sample Line Group did you sample only the actual "drefd surfaces" for sections?

Easiest way to tell is view Sections Tab in SLG prop's and the Surface icons without a little black arrow are the dref's and

the ones with the arrow are an xref of the surface.

Our workflows are similar, here's what we typically have:

Base.dwg = Points & EG surf

Align.dwg = Alignment, Profiles & Corridor

Xsec.dwg = Xrefd Corridor, Drefd Align, EG & FG surfaces, Sample Lines and Section Views.

In the Xsec.dwg:

Alignment, EG and FG surfaces are all drefd.

The Align.dwg and Base.dwg are attached as "ATTACHMENT" type xref's.

(Attachment vs. Overlay does matter when dealing with sections)

If Pipe Networks are present be sure that you don't have the scenario where the PN source dwg is attached as

an Xref and same dwg also contains a Dref for those same PN's. If this is case try detaching or unloading the PN xref,

save, close & open.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 7
USI-AutoCAD
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

First off, thanks for your responses.

I did have existing and proposed pipe networks both xref and dref into xsect.dwg.

I was successful in solving my problem, because you got me thinking about the possibility of dref vs. xref conflicts.

I detached my dwg that had the dref alignment and profile, closed and when I reopened it "poof", I did not have to synchronizereferences and the alignment and new sample lines came back in.

Obviously this is because of a conflict with dref and xref.

This should be written on the C3D box  - DO NOT XREF A DWG THAT CONTAINS MULTIPLE DREF INFO.

Lane Change - My question to you though is since the corridor cannot be dref'd and you said in your workflow that you create it in your Align.dwg and xref into your section.dwg, I would assume that when you do run your sample lines that it will pick it up as a data source and show your assemblies in your section views?

I'm gonna have to try that one. I would have thought since it does not show up in toolspace after xref that it would not be available.

Scott

Message 7 of 7
Jay_B

@USI-AutoCAD wrote:
A question that puzzles mankind......................

Puzzling question indeed, Glad I could help.

Yes the Corridor is one object in Civil 3D that cannot be Drefd but can be read via an xref.

Important to note: Use "Attachment" method vs. Overlay to avoid additional Dref Synching issues.

Having said that the Corridor can be read via Xref (and successfully) the same isn't true for Surfaces (which can also be

sampled & read via Xref or Dref).

I avoid trying to sample Surface via Xref & as long as I stick with the Dref method for surfaces life is good.

Lastly if I've solved your issue I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly "Accept as Solution" next to my reply so others searching

for the same problem in the future might also benefit.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report