Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Road Cross Section

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
shahjamil
5698 Views, 10 Replies

Drawing Road Cross Section

Hello All,

I have cross section data of the existing ground in the form of offset elevation. Can i draw cross sections from the this data? I am using Autocad Civil 3D.

Formate of the data for one section is:

Station 12+000

offset               Elevation

-25                    350

-20                    347

-15                    348

-10                    346

-5                      350

0                       351

5                       353

-25                    349

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ericcollins6932
in reply to: shahjamil

Sure, as long as you have the alignment and direction of same to relate the offset information.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 11
shahjamil

Can you please elaborate! What will be the precedure? Thanks in advance.
Message 4 of 11

There is a command in Civil 3D under Points -> Alignments -> Import From File that will read a file formated as:

Station, Offset, Elevation

or

Station Offset Elevation

When you use the command it will prompt for a file and an alignment and bring in the points relative to that alignment. There is more information about the command and the file format in the help file.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11

Thanks Mr. Peter Funk, I am a novice in Civil 3d, I have imported the points in the drawing by the procedure you described but I am stuck up now to convert these points to sample line and then draw the cross section. I explored different methods of drawing the sample lines but I am unable to find the solution. Can you please guide me in drawing the cross sections after importing the points in the drawing?

Thanks again.

Jamil

Message 6 of 11
ericcollins6932

(borrowed from Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011, Chapter 13) (Wedding & McEachron)

Before you create sample lines, you often start with a corridor... allowing you to display materials being used, as well as to show the new surface with cut and fill areas.

I highly recommend this book for us novices...

I did take the Civil 3D essentials course, but find this book fills in a lot of the blanks. Especially if you have never taken the C3D Essentials course, I would at the very least, invest in this book. I got it online from Chapters. It runs about $70 US or $84 CDN.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 7 of 11

After you import the points I would create a surface from them. Then add the surface to what the sample lines and create/update your cross sections.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
shahjamil

Thanks Mr. Peter Funk followed your instructions and it worked.
Message 9 of 11
saraswat89

U can do

first u draw a line and make the alignment after that you import the point from file in text csv formet  and any other quary u can contact at my cell +919001998845 and email;saraswat89@rediffmail.com

saraswat

Message 10 of 11
mohan.bora

Pl.send me the tutorials with procedure to draw road cross sections for earth work

Message 11 of 11
1rajkumar3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report