Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Lag

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1025 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing Lag

I'm working in Civil 3D 2012.  I recently recieved a drawing from our surveyors for a small site design and I'm experience significant lag with simple tasks like panning, zooming, selecting objects, or making autocad the current window (while working with other applications).  The program keeps freezing for a couple seconds at a time.  I don't have any tool pallettes open.  I've also tried to shut down everything except this drawing and get the same result.

The drawing is only 1,064 KB.  Everytime it locks up, the CPU usage for that task jumps up to about 25 and isn't usable again until the CPU usage drops below 20.  Working in other drawings, the CPU usage never goes above 20; it stays around 10-15 for most tasks.

I've tried auditing and found no errors.  I've tried purging and found no unused anything that could be bogging it down.  This drawing has no x-refs or images.  The only 3d object is a surface with only 360 points.

We installed 2012 SP 3.0 on August 2.  I know the guy that created the drawing recently got a new computer, but he said he didn't have any trouble with it and we're not seeing any problems with other drawings he's created.

I'm completely stumped.  I don't know what else to check.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Ajilal.Vijayan
in reply to: Anonymous

Also check the number of layers and layer filter of this drawing.

If you have too many layers, create a layer filter that displays minimum layers and keep the layer display to that filter.

I used to keep a layer filter that only shows the layer 0, and sometimes this works for me.

Message 3 of 6
Nik-D

Are you using a MS wireless mouse by any chance?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

try exporting the surface to an xml and then deleting it. export any points into a text file. make sure there are no civil 3d objects in the drawing then write block out all the autocad objects to a new file. then open your template file and insert the objects into the new file. xml import the surface back in and import the points back in. see if that doesn't help resolve the problem.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Ajilal.Vijayan

I think you hit it, with the layers.

I purged most of the unused styles; then purged all the layers and blocks that were used in those styles.  Now it's working ok.

Message 6 of 6
Ajilal.Vijayan

Glad that helped you !!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report